Chapter 10

"Dentist: open up please. Me: sometimes I get sad."

Terrence starts giggling and Colton hits his head against his desk. He was in the process of picking up his pen.

I smile as I watch Colton. He laughs while he rubs the back of his head which must hurt quite bad now. I'm not sure whether the small tears in the corners of his eyes are from the pain or the meme. Probably both. The pen remains on the floor.

Another school day, another homeroom with two goofs next to me looking at memes and tumblr. The bell rings and we all head to our next classes. While I'm making my way to history I get held back by coach Vernon. Right, the track team.

"How's it going with your schedule son?" he asks me. I shrug. "Fine I guess. I mean I didn't experience any heart failure."

Vernon barks out a laugh and slaps me on the back. "Good for you kid. Seems like we'll get along after all. Didn't know you have a sense of humor to ya. Track meetings are every monday and wednesday after school. Be there." I nod and watch the man walk away. That was so weird. I didn't know teachers actually just approach students in the hallway like that. But more importantly I shouldn't forget to tell Pepper that I can't walk home with her on mondays and wednesdays anymore.

The day drags by. In the end I did forget to tell Pepper about the track stuff, so I texted Colton to tell her for me, if he were to run into her. How come I don't have Peppers phone number? Of course I know everyone is on the social media things. But I don't like them. So I never made any accounts. Which results in me having no contact with my best friend besides when we're face to face. Go me.

I drag myself onto the track field and awkwardly stand by coach Vernon's side. Eventually he notices me and tells me to join the new freshmen because I'm a year behind. Turns out my technique sucks ass, but I have spirit, so I should just keep practicing at home. His words, not mine.

When I make it back home I walk in on this very awkward scene. Mom, dad, Terrence and Colton having dinner together. It makes me wonder if my parents would like having Colton as their son-in-law. But I'm quick to pull my mind out of the gutter again. It's only been two days. And I'm still in the closet. But I don't have to be. How do you even time something like that. How do you know you're ready?

I walk over to the table but don't sit down yet. Dad laughs at something Terrence is telling him. Mom nods at Colton while he says something with a polite smile. Then they notice I'm just standing there. They go quiet. "You alright honey?" mom asks. I gulp. What is wrong with me? "I'm gay." I say. Well that answers both our questions.

Terrence burst into a fit of laughter and falls off his chair. He sounds like a dying hyena. Dad freezes, his fork laden with food halfway to his mouth. The tomato sauce slowly drips off the mashed potatoes and lands right next to his plate. Mom her eyes widen and she drops her cutlery completely. She doesn't move to pick her knife up off the floor. Colton looks at me with a bright grin and continues eating. He seems very happy, so I smile.

My parents don't seem to able to recollect themselves so I just make my way upstairs. My heart is thumping quite widely. I can't believe I just did that. Is this what adrenaline feels like? I kind of like it.

Behind me I start hearing voices again.

"Did our son just tell us he's gay!?" dad exclaims. Terrence bursts out laughing again. "Fuck yeah he did! Colt's going to be your son-in-law by the way. Get used to it."

Now mom gets involved too. "What!? Colton?" she asks. My boyfriend chuckles. I linger halfway up the stairs so that I can continue listening. "Yes ma'am." he responds curtly. Silence, but I can vividly imagine mom shaking her head. "I can't believe this. Wow. Well at least he has good taste."

Terrence gets stuck into a laughing spree again and they continue eating. Overall to me it sounds like I've been accepted. Of course they're surprised. But they didn't sound angry. I continue on to my room and close the door behind me. I drop my backpack on my bed and pull out my physics homework. Some thirty minutes later the door to my bedroom bursts open. There's Colton. He closes the door behind him and hands me a plate with still warm leftovers "Your mom told me to bring you this". I accept the plate and start eating while I continue my homework. He grins brightly and shakes his head. We remain silent after that. But it's a nice silent with a lot of exchanged smiles and short moments of eye contact. Until Terrence marches past my room knocking on my door as he yells "You're a fucking legend bro!" Then he sounds like a dying hyena again.

Colton laughs and sits closer to me. He rests his head on my shoulder and looks at my papers. I set my almost empty plate aside on my desk, my stomach now satisfied. "I don't get how you understand all of this." he mutters. "It looks like Orcish or something."

I chuckle. This causes Colton to look at me with wide eyes. "Wow. You just pretty much laughed!" I smile and look down at my papers again. "That was adorable." he adds on. And now I'm blushing. What is this boy doing to me? I quickly place a shy kiss on his cheek and he grins. "You know Terry's planning our wedding already?" he asks out of nowhere. I roll my eyes. "I like to think I absorbed his brain while we were in the womb because there is no other way to explain his lack of intelligence."

He laughs. I made Colton laugh and it's the best feeling ever.