Chapter 30

I spend the three days of suspension hoaled up in my room, opting to lock my bedroom door and listen to music rather than facing my parents their wrath. I honestly don't ever want to leave this room. The only downside is the lack of food. I'm not that hungry though. And I've resolved to sneaking to the bathroom at three AM to clench my thirst and relieve my bladder. It's the moment even anyone who tried to stay up to catch me has fallen asleep.

On thursday morning I sit up on my bed and stare at the door, wondering if I should really go outside again. I don't want to. Suddenly the door handle is pushed downwards. But the door doesn't open. I mentally pat myself on the back for being smart enough to lock it as soon as I entered on monday.

Some vague curiosity gets the better of me though and I pull out my earphones. Part of me even wonders if anyone's tried to open the door before. The door handle is released and jumps back in its original position.

"Laurence, please just open the door."

It's mom. She doesn't sound stern, nor angry, nor pissed. Just... Defeated. I'm honestly confused. I get up, walk over to the door, and rest my forehead against it with a thump. I can't bring myself to open it like she asked.

"Laurence honey!?" she asks. She sounds hopeful with a slight influence of disbelief. "Yes mom." I say. Well try to say. I sound more like a frog. That's what I get for not using my voice for three days. Unless crying counts.

"Oh my God, honey, please open the door. Just please, please open the door!" she pleads. Is she crying? She sounds all choked up. I think I can even hear her sniff.

A door bursts open further down the hall. I hear footstep storm down the small distance to my room. "Did he say anything!?" my brother pretty much screams. He's so dramatic. I smile sadly and sit down. I hug my knees to my chest and stare at the door. My mind flashes back to the time Colton sang that song from Frozen to me through the door.

"Yes! He- he said 'yes mom'. I'm sure of it." mom exclaims. Terrence starts pacing up and down as he softly chants 'oh my God' under his breath. Then there's a lonely, soft knock.

"Rence, please..."

It's Colton. I gasp and cover my mouth with my hand as I start crying again. If there's one stereotype about gay guys that I agree with it would have to be that we somehow make everything dramatic. I mean, I just locked myself in my room for three days and starved myself because my boyfriend broke up with me and I didn't want to be yelled at by my parents. That's pretty dramatic if you ask me.

Judging from the way Terrence yells my name and starts jiggling with the door handle again they heard my gasp. I wipe my eyes with my sleeves and decide it's time I face my mistakes. I slowly get to my feet. My hand rests on the lock. It's shaking. I turn the lock.

The door bursts open and to surprise it's Colton who crashes into me and wraps his arms around me. He's holding my glasses for some reason.

Somehow I didn't expect him to be the one to viciously attack the door handle. He presses his face against the side of my neck and whispers 'I'm sorry' over and over. "It's okay." I whisper back and he lets out a single, hoarse laugh.

Terrence crashes into the both of us. The regular hug is now a group hug. Judging from the increasing wet spots on my shirt both of them are crying. My gaze meets mom's and I tear up too. "Terrence spilled all the beans." she says. "It's okay honey. That senior is going to juvy."

I smile at her. My tears aren't sad today, they're happy. Dad appears at the top of the stairs and sees are little reunion. He smiles widely and walks over to us. He messes up my hair. "It's okay kiddo." he says. I close my eyes and bury my face in both Terrence's and Colton's shoulder. All of the attention is making me a bit uncomfortable. But I'm happy regardless. Right now we might be a little bit broken. Okay we're very broken. But we'll be alright. The shit storm isn't over yet. But I like to think I can see a clear sky in the not so far distance.