Just Puckabrina

Puck and Jake had arrived back at Granny's new-and-improved (greatly improved, compared to the smoldering wreckage that was left after Mirror's escape) rambling ten-bedroom, three-and-a-half bath home at nine o'clock on Friday. Sabrina, who was visiting with her family for the summer, didn't see them until four in the afternoon on Saturday. She liked it better that way, because it meant she got to say hi to them without everyone else crowding her all the time.

Still, it wasn't on purpose. She'd been at a sleepover party at a potential friend's house, and the boy's return, like Jake and Puck's three previous visits, was unannounced. So she hadn't even known they were home until after she got back and had started making herself a snack, when she'd been surprised (to say the least) to find two new people in the kitchen. She'd almost dropped the peanut butter.

"What are you doing here?" she'd shrieked, running at Uncle Jake, peanut butter still in hand. "Why didn't anybody tell me?"

Her face was buried in Uncle Jake's coat when the answer came, so she'd had to be told multiple times, and by then, her peanut butter was all over her shirt, so she'd had to go shower in the blue bathroom (her favorite), and then it had been time for dinner, and then she'd had to do her summer reading homework, and then there was a movie, and then it actually was time for bed, so it wasn't until the next morning that she really got to talk with Puck.

They bumped into each other in what was left of the old backyard, the small space behind the rambles of the house's several new large rooms, and then they just sort of stood there for a minute. It was always awkward after he first got back. Sabrina noticed that he'd grown another inch, putting him officially at a head taller than she was, and that there was something resembling peachfuzz, thick and yellow but not very long, on his jaw. She didn't know what Puck noticed.

"So... how've you been?" he asked.

"All right," she answered, leaning against the wall of the house, underneath a window, where it would be hard for Daphne to see her if she happened to walk by.

Puck joined her in leaning against the wall and joked, "Aren't you going to ask how I am?"

"No," Sabrina said, "I can see perfectly well that you're fine. Besides, you've been sending me postcards."

"Yeah, and you've sent me letters," Puck pointed out, "but I still asked how you are."

"Touche," Sabrina said, rolling her eyes. "So how are you, Puck?"

"That's better," he said, satisfied. "I'm good, thank you. What have you been up to recently?"

Sabrina snorted. "Are you going to guide me through the rules of polite conversation?" she asked, scoffing.

"If I need to to get you to have one," Puck answered.

Sabrina rolled her eyes and said, "I think you're the last person who should be telling anybody about polite anything."

"I can have a polite conversation," Puck protested. "And I'm doing way better than you are right now."

Sabrina didn't say anything.

Puck winked at her. "I see I've left you speechless, Grimm. It's all right, it's perfectly normal to be silenced by my awesomeitude."

Sabrina blinked, surprised at the change of tone and his 'word', and, noticing a movement in the woods to her left, suggested, "Do you want to go for a walk? They put in a convenience store about a mile from here."

"Sure," Puck agreed, pushing off the wall and starting to head around the house. "Why?"

"I'm pretty sure Daphne's lurking somewhere around here," Sabrina said, following him, "And I seriously hate it when she does that. She always reads too much into things."

"What if she's not reading too much into it?" Puck asked, offhand.

Sabrina looked at Puck for a second, blushing just the tiniest bit, then smiled. "That would be... nice, I guess. But then she'll start planning our wedding."

"That's my job!" Puck protested.

"Technically it's mine," Sabrina pointed out. "Bride's family does all the wedding planning and pays for it and everything. All the groom has to do is show up."

Puck wrinkled his nose and said, "That's so boring. Why can't you have the boring job?"

"I dunno," Sabrina shrugged, thinking that he had a point. She didn't really care about what the church looked like on her wedding day, as long as it didn't look like what Puck wanted it to. "Tradition, I guess."

"So why don't we break tradition?" Puck suggested.

"Sure," Sabrina joked. "I'll wear pants and you wear the dress."

"Only if I get a miniskirt," Puck said.

Sabrina, struck by the image of Puck's hairy legs sticking out of a very tight white skirt, snickered. "Sure. If we ever get married, you can wear a miniskirt. My dad'll throw a fit, but..."

"Eh," Puck said with a shrug. "He'll throw a fit if you marry me no matter what we wear. So we might as well make it as outrageous as possible so he's not the only one screaming."

"That's a great idea," Sabrina said, rolling her eyes.

"You think so?" Puck asked, turning to her with a hopeful face. When he saw her expression, though, his expression dropped. "Of course not."

Sabrina shook her head and said, "You may be growing up, but you're still an idiot sometimes."

"Better than being an idiot all the time," Puck pointed out, then ran ahead with a laugh, escaping Sabrina's swinging fist.

Sabrina chased him, but by the time she caught up they'd reached the convenience store, and she was too embarrassed to give him the beating he deserved in front of strangers, so she just shoved him lightly.

"What do you want?" Puck asked her, pushing open the door to the convenience store ("Momma's Pops," it was called).

"Orange soda and bag of sour cream and onion chips," Sabrina said, and, when Puck went to get them, she continued, "I can get them myself, you know. I'm a big girl."

"I know." Puck said, still heading for the wall of sodas. "Go get me something, will you? I don't know what's good."

"Sure," Sabrina said, and headed for the opposite wall, which was laden with jars of the lollipops the store was named for- giant spheres of hard candy with anything you could ask for inside them. She grabbed a handful of the weirdest flavors on the shelf and headed for the counter to wait for Puck.

Puck loaded his things onto the counter a few seconds later and asked the acne-laden cashier, a boy barely older than Sabrina, "How much?"

"Ten seventy-two," the cashier answered.

While Puck handed over the money and the cashier counted out his change, Sabrina said, keeping her voice as nonchalant as she could, "You know, if the guy pays, it's usually considered a date."

Puck handed her the orange soda and answered, "Well, maybe it is."

"Oh," Sabrina said, taking the soda and smiling. "All right, then."

"What do we do next?" Puck asked.

"Eat our food in a romantic place, I guess." Sabrina shrugged. "And then- whatever we want!"

"All right!" Puck said, "Let's get to it!"