Chapter 5

“- girls!” Dr. Bailey says. Two girls! Ever since I was little, I always wanted two girls! I never thought it would be when I was sixteen, but this is still amazing!

“Yes!” I squeal and look at Christina. She has the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on her, and Nick just looks surprised. Sage looks completely overjoyed.

“Your girls can be friends with Nyla!” Sage says as we walk out of the room.

“What do you think we’re going to get?” Christina asks Nick.

“I think a girl. You’ve been wearing a lot of pink lately, and I think that’ll motivate her.” He says to her, totally serious.

“Nick, I don’t think that that’s how babies get their gender. Anyway, I think a boy.” Chrissy says back.

“Whatever. I can feel it, she is a girl.” He says as we all climb into Chrissy’s car. Nick won’t allow her to drive because she’s pregnant and “pregnancy can make you go crazy and drive off a bridge!”, so he’s driving. “So what does everyone want to eat?” Nick says and turns on the car. I hadn’t realized it until now, but I’m really hungry.

“Can we get Mexican food?” I ask.

“Oh yes! I’m really craving that right now!” Chrissy enthuses.

“What do you think, Sage?” Nick says to her.

“I don’t really care. I love food, all food. Except pickles. I hate pickles.” She says.

“Okay, then it’s settled. Mexican food it is!” Nick says and takes a right turn to go to Rigoberto’s. When we walk in, a few heads turn. It’s not everyday that two pregnant sixteen year olds come in. Sage and Nick order and tell me to go next.

“Um… I’ll have the super jumbo nachos with extra sour cream and a beef burrito and taco… and maybe some fajitas… and I’ll have a water.” I say. I look back at Nick and I can feel my face turn red at his surprise at my huge appetite. “What? I am ordering for three people!” I say. Now his face turns red. We sit down in a small booth in the corner.

“So how old in Nyla?” I ask Sage. To Chrissy and Nick, I say “Nyla is Sage’s daughter.”

“She just turned two last month. It’s amazing how big they get in the first years. She already knows how to walk and talk. Well, basic English. She can tell me what she needs and she understands me when I talk to her. It’s awesome having someone who only belongs to you.” She says.

“What about her dad?” I ask hesitantly. What if he died? What if Sage was raped, and that’s how she got pregnant?

“He’s not here.” She said and her face hardened into a frown. “He got put in juvie for getting caught selling marijuana.”

“Oh. I’m so sorry!” Christina and I say at the same time.

“Don’t be. It was his own fault for not getting a real job. He had to find a way to pay me child support, and he didn’t want a normal job so he became a drug dealer. He got more money that way anyway. I don’t really care.”

“Oh. Okay… the congrats?” I question her, still a little confused.

“Thank you. Speaking of Nyla, I have to go pick her up from daycare now. Bye guys!” she said and walked out the restaurant. I resume stuffing my mouth with food, which I had momentarily stopped to talk to Sage.

“So do you like Sage?” I ask Chrissy and Nick.

“I still can’t believe you’re going to have two girls!” Chrissy squeals.