Chapter 10

“What!? No! I’m not in labor, I’m not ready!” I panic.

“Yes, you are Brooklyn. Is there anyone that is should call to tell them?” one of the doctors says and I get another contraction. I feel my eyes brimming with tears and the nurse looks sympathetic. “Also, since you are having triplets, we will be doing a C-section, if you didn’t already know.”

“Call Christina Stevens, Daniel Woodburn, and Sage Cooley!” I whimper. One doctor comes up to me and puts a sheet separating my upper body from by belly. Then he puts some kind of mask on my, and the pain goes away. I feel a sense of calmness, but then I remember that I am in labor. In a few short hours, I am going to be a mother.

I start to feel numbness from my shoulders down. A few more doctors with gloves and masks come over behind the sheet, and I think they must be starting the operation. I see the nurse in the corner of the room on the phone, she must be calling them. I lay here for a few minutes, totally stressing out. What if something goes wrong? I suddenly get interrupted of my thoughts by a high-pitched wail that fills the room.

“It’s a girl!” one doctor shouts and hurries out of the room. I am a mother, I have a baby girl. Shit, I still haven’t decided on names. I see the door burst open and for a second, I think that the doctor came back with my daughter. Daughter. That feels strange. But it’s Christina.

“Brooke! Are you okay? Did you have the baby? Or, actually babies?” she squeals and sits next to my bed. I try to tell her, but then I remember that I have a mask over my face preventing me from saying anything. I nod my head to try and tell her I’m okay. Another cry fills the room and Christina jumps in surprise.

“Another girl!” the doctor says and runs out. Christina looks at me and squeals.

“A little girl! I bet she’s just like you!” she says. Two little baby girls. I wonder if the next will be a girl or a boy. I hope that they are all nice and healthy. “Do you know the gender of the next baby?” Chrissy says and I shake my head.

“It’s a boy!” another doctor finally yells and dashes out the room. I immediately know something is wrong, I didn’t hear any cries. The remaining doctors quickly finish up and take the screen and my mask off.

“What’s wrong? When can I see them? What happened?” I cry to the doctor, but he just walks away. “Please, tell me!” I beg him.

“Miss, you can see your children soon. Your son was having trouble breathing, so he has been taken NICU, and your daughters are going to be there as well.  Trust me, he will be fine. A lot of newborns have trouble breathing for the first seconds after their birth.” He says and I feel immediately relieved. But I don’t want to wait; I want to see them now. I carried them for nine months, actually eight, but I went through a lot for them. And I want to see them now.

“It’s okay, they’re fine. You can see them soon, they probably just need to run a few tests.” Chrissy says and the door bursts open once again, this time it’s Daniel.

“Brooklyn! Are you okay? Did you have the babies? Are they healthy? Are you in stable condition? What happened? Did it hurt? I’m so, so sorry that I wasn’t here sooner! I got stuck in traffic!” he bombards me with questions. I don’t have much energy to respond, and Christina gets the massage so she answers his questions for me.