ACT 1 SCENE 1

(The scene is a bush. A man named Alex and a woman named Mariana are seen walking in the forest. The man is holding a Dane gun while the woman is holding a hoe. Alex's leg is trapped by a rat trap.)

ALEX

(Screaming in a very loud tone.) Help me, awh! My leg has entered a rat trap.

MARIANA

How come? We never came here to face this kind of trouble oh. This means there are a lot of rat traps in this bush, I have to leave quickly before I become a victim like Alex here. (To Alex.) Sorry eh, but I have to go. (She runs away very swiftly.)

ALEX

Don't do this to me your love, Mariana, please help I need your help, please help me. You cannot run away like this, please help me don't leave me alone.

(The movement of a cobra is noticed, as he tries to remove the trap the cobra comes closer to him and as he tries to run the cobra opens it mouth wide.)

(Alex in his old fashioned room wakes up from this devastating dream he just had. He goes to his toilet and washes his face.) Which type of dream was that? Why am I always seeing Mariana in my dreams? It's just a dream, an unimportant dream I guess.

(He walks slowly to his mother's room. When he gets to her room door he knocks. Mary is in her room, sitting on her bed, writing a letter she had planned to deliver to the post office that day.)

MARY

Come in.

ALEX

(He opens the door and enters the room.) Good morning Mama.

MARY

Good morning my son, I hope this morning is truly good?

ALEX

I pray it becomes good. I have been having different kinds of nightmares which I have been afraid to tell you. It is mainly about Mariana. (Mary drops her pen on the stool and listens to Alex more carefully.) Today, I dreamt that we were together in the bush, I was holding a Dane gun and she was holding a hoe, then suddenly I entered a rat trap and guess what she did?

MARY

Tell me, what did she do?

ALEX

She ran away thinking her to will also fall into a trap like me. I tried calling her but she left me to suffer the pains alone. I don't understand all this dreams I'm having.

MARY

I do understand the dreams you are have. My ability to interpret dreams which I discovered at age 12 will surely be relevant in this case. It means Mariana is not the right girl for you. It also illustrate what will happen in your time of trouble and how she will leave you alone to suffer alone.

ALEX

(Doubtfully.) No mother, Mariana and I love each other so much and we've promised to each other that we'll never separate. She is a very loving and caring person, maybe my dreams are using her face but illustrating someone else, like Sandra.

MARY

Shut up that gutter you assume is your mouth. Sandra is a very humble girl, she is a genuine Christian, not that girl called Mariana you call your fiancée. Are you insane?

ALEX

That's your own point of view which I really care less about. Mariana is the love of my life and you know that too well.

MARY

If that's your decision, no big deal. Obviously, it's your choice, who am I to interfere in your matters. (Points her index finger to the door.) Leave now, before you entered I was writing a letter to the state government to help my company warn the press about their paparazzi on the issue of the financial transaction. I have to deliver it to the post office today, so please leave my room so I can continue writing the letter.

ALEX

Alright Mum. (He leaves the room.)

MARY

I pray my son will not make the wrong choices in life like me. I want him to forever be happy and not weep like I did after getting married to his father, who later left me for another woman. God please help my son.

(LIGHT FADES.)