ACT 11 SCENE 2

(Deejay is dressed up in his suit and he is holding a briefcase. He is about to go out and Mariana rushes out with a mug of tea for him to drink.)

MARIANA

My husband, before you leave at least take tea. I hate it when you get hungry in your workplace.

DEEJAY

How do you know that I get hungry during work?

MARIANA

Do you have any other woman sponsoring you food in your office? Are you cheating on me?

DEEJAY

I should have been right? I don't even know why I am still with you in your infertile territory.

MARIANA

Jesus! Deejay! Are you really saying this to me? How can you, how can you? You consider me as an infertile fellow right. (Claps her hand.) Nice one. Whosoever will bear you a child shall give birth to an infertile person.

DEEJAY

See who is talking. After I bring my divorce papers you'll find no man to marry you. JEZEBEL!

MARIANA

Nice one.

(Deejay smashes the mug on the floor and leaves.)

DEEJAY

I have had enough, enough I said. (He slams the door.)

MARIANA

I cannot believe this.

(She walks to the kitchen slowly in shock. She is remembering everything Deejay just did to her. Suddenly, Lisa and a lady named Amaka enter.)

LISA

Bonjour, sterile belle fille. (Good day, infertile daughter in law.) Hopefully you aren't blind. This girl named Amaka has come to claim her rightful possession. The best thing for you to do now is to walk briskly to your room and pack your thing, unless, we'll do it for you.

MARIANA

What is this mother?

LISA

Point of correction, je ne suis pas ton mere. (I am not your mother.)

MARIANA

Don't do this to me mother, please don't

LISA

I can see you're not ready, I'll hopefully help. Based on logistics you are not fit to be in this place, I hope you know that too well. I don't know where my son Christopher got this apocrypha from.

AMAKA

Take it easy mother, you've got to. I think I will be of some sort of help.

LISA

Go to the master's bedroom any female stuff you see, throw it out. Don't delay at all.

AMAKA

Alright my dear mother in-law.

MARIANA

What! You mean I should go?

LISA

Yes go, go sterile belle-fille. (Infertile daughter in-law.)

(Amaka brings out all her things and throws it outside the house.)

MARIANA

(Crying as she falls on her kneel.) Please don't treat me like this, I might not be fertile, what of if he has low sperm count.

LISA

I know my son, I know too well he is not infertile and sterile like you. Get lost! (To Amaka.) Throw every single thing out.

AMAKA

Alright mother in law.

MARIANA

Please Mother. I promise to give your son a child.

LISA

Get out! It is your destiny not to give birth.

MARIANA

Please mother.

LISA

Don't dare call me mother unless... I'll slap your face. (Trying to push Mariana out but she is not insisting. Amaka then pushes Mariana out of the house finally.)

MARIANA

Please don't do this to me. I love your son so much and you know that mother.

LISA

Throw her things out of this house. I don't know if this witch uses my grandchildren for continuous rituals. Evil witch! (Throwing her things to her.) Get the hell out of my house, either bad or good for nothing!!!

MARIANA

Please mama, don't do this to me I beg you in the name of Jesus.

LISA

Please leave in the name of Jesus, leave!!!

(Lisa shuts the door. Mariana begins to assemble her things as tears gosh out from her eyes and runs through her swollen cheek.)

MARIANA

What have I done to deserve all these atrocity? God please forgive me. Where am I going to start from? (Walking out of the house with her luggage.) I think I should go, but where will I go? (She has a flashback of her times with Alex.) Yes, I should go back to Alex and apologise. That's the only option I have.