ACT 8 SCENE 1

(Mariana is in the kitchen washing the plates and also cooking Fried rice. She washes them carefully.)

MARIANA

I have been here for two weeks now. I really have to make myself presentable so he won't throw me out of this house. I have nowhere to go. I lied to him about my mother.

(Flashback.)

(Mariana is in her room making a phone call with her mother Mercy.)

MARIANA

Mother, how are you? I have been wishing to call you. I hope you're fine?

MERCY

Yes my daughter. Tell me, where are you staying now?

(D.J gets enters the room quietly.)

MARIANA

Mum, I found a very sweet man here, he offered to help me and take care of me.

DEEJAY

(He coughs.) You told me earlier that your mother is dead, so tell me who are you speaking to?

MARIANA

Em... em... em... Yes she is dead.

DEEJAY

Speak up Mariana, speak up.

MARIANA

She is my stepmother, I just wanted to inform her that I've reached Abuja.

DEEJAY

Is that what you're afraid to tell me? Go prepare something for me.

(Flashback ends.)

MARIANA

How will I try to impress him? How will I do it? Maybe through my cooking? (She checks the pot on fire.) The food is done, let me dish it out for both of us. (She dishes the food on two plates and keeps it on the dining table. She moves to the refrigerator and brings out two soft drinks for her and D.J. She goes to his room and calls him to come and eat. He is on his bed chatting with his friends on a social network.) D.J food is ready, it is ready.

DEEJAY

Let's see if truly you are a good cook, for the past few days we've been going to restaurants to eat but today you've decided to cook, let me come and eat.

MARIANA

Alright D.J, the food is on the dining table.

DEEJAY

I'll be there soon.

(Mariana goes back to the dining table and waits for him to arrive. Few minutes later Deejay arrives and they begin to eat.)

MARIANA

Deejay tell me, where are your parent?

DEEJAY

They are in the village, I do send them some money often. You said your parents are dead, sorry for you.

MARIANA

Deejay don't talk about it, don't please you'll make me cry.

DEEJAY

Sorry about that. Anyway, my love... sorry Mariana.

MARIANA

You can call me your love because am also madly in love with you. I didn't know how to tell you but thank God you confessed it today.

DEEJAY

I have studied your behaviour for a while and I noticed your wonderful and gladsome personality. Mariana I love you so much, I do. Will you marry me?

MARIANA

Are you serious Deejay?

DEEJAY

Will I be joking with this, I love you Mariana will you marry me?

MARIANA

(Chuckles.) Seriously Deejay, I can't believe this, I just can't believe this. Anyway, yes I do, I do really want to marry you.

DEEJAY

Yes, I knew it. (Dances to his rhyme.) She said she's going to marry me, she said she going to marry me. Thank you so much Mariana, we will go shopping today.

MARIANA

Alright Deejay. (She feeds him with one spoon of rice.) I do love you. (Chuckles.)

DEEJAY

Let's clean up from here, we will go to Shoprite and also you'll see some amazing features like Aso rock, CBN, Zuma rock and many more.

MARIANA

Wow! Let's go.

DEEJAY

Calm down Mariana, calm down.