One

^^Dan^^

Chapter 1

Dan threw the files on the table with frustration. It's him, I know it is. This was the 15th mafia boss dead in the past 3 months, Dan had asked to be put on the case when he noticed the connections. The first two who had been killed were known to have used the warehouse for meth production so it was obvious that Lucifer had something to do with the murders. He was killing to avenge Chloe's death

Dan could remember the sight of Lucifer when he was wheeled out of the warehouse that day, his face was red from the heat and clothes covered in blood and burns. Dan had run to ask him what had happened when he saw another stretcher with a bodybag being wheeled out, he went over to the paramedics and showed them his badge before unzipping the bag. He was not ready for the sight he saw, he leaned to the side and threw up. The medics closed the bag and moved it into the morgue van.

Dan knew it was Chloe, he saw the necklace their daughter had bought for her mum around the corpse's neck. What was she doing here, oh my God what am I gonna tell Trixie? The thought of his little daughter sent a chill down his spine.

Dan had gone home and called Chloe's mom to pick Trixie up that day. He told her what happened to Chloe and she cried such a painfull cry, she had just lost her daughter. She agreed to take Trixie to her house and Dan was grateful for that.

He had gone home and taken a long shower while he sobbed his eyes out. Dan still loved Chloe, even though they were divorced. The pain of her death was so intense that he spent a whole month holed in his apartment. He went to work after and that was when he saw the files for the murders, he connected the dots instantly and tried to find Lucifer, but he was MIA. He still doesn't know why he didn't report Lucifer as a suspect for the case, maybe it's because he too felt that the men deserved to die.

Right now Dan was sitting by his desk and looking at the file for the recent murder which happened two days ago. The man was skinned to death, his skin was pilled off and he had died after his body went into shock.

Lucifer really was gruesome, Dan never understood the strange man but now he was getting to know that the man was a psychopath.

Looking at his watch, he got up to go see little Trixie. She hadn't taken the news of her mommy 'going to heaven' well. Trixie understood what the phrase meant and she hasn't talked since. It is worrying but Dan took her to a therapist who said it was normal and that she just needed time.

He left the building and drove to his ex-mother in law's house. When he arrived, Trixie was sitting in front of the TV. The TV was off but the child was looking at it as if it was on

Dan went and sat next to her on the couch, she didn't even spare him a glace of acknowledgement.

"Hi baby" he tried, he always greeted her and was answered with silence each time. He let a sigh slip out his mouth and just sat there for the next 30 minutes. Even if she didn't talk, Dan still loved being in the company of his little girl. He still wished she'd talk and tell him her weird stories about what happened during her day.

He left the house after saying goodbye to Trixie and her grandmother. As he was getting in his car he saw a classic Chevy parked down the street, it drove away as soon as he glanced towards it. He knew it was him, so he got in his car and raced after the Chevy.

After a 20 minute chase, the car finally stopped, they were now on a deserted highway. Lucifer got out of the Chevy and sat on the hood. Dan parked behind the Chevy and got out before walking in front of the tall man.

"Would you like to tell me why your following me, Dan?" The detective took notice of how the man addressed him, he called him Dan. Lucifer never called him Dan.

"Well, I have been looking at some of my cases and they all seem to lead to you" he replied.

Lucifer stood up from the hood and his intimidating height was evident. He walked towards Dan and leaned down to the shorter Man's level.

"What? Am I a suspect? Is that why you were following me, to arrest me?" He said in a deadly calm voice, raising one eyebrow as if to dare the detective to answer.

"N-no, I-I ...I-" Dan couldn't speak, the proximity of Lucifer was making him feel uncomfortable, "Do you mind giving me some space!" He shouted with frustration, Geez this guy doesn't know the concept of personal space.

Lucifer stood straight and looked down at Dan, who didn't feel comfortable with having to look up at the tall man so he moved back abit, that way he didn't have to strain his neck too much.

"Look, I know how you felt about Chloe. But do you really think that going around and killing all these people will make it better?" He said with his fingers massaging the bridge of his nose.

"Yes, It make me feel better" Lucifer's reply was anything but mature.

"Oh really? Do you think that Chloe would've liked you to do these things?" Dan said in anger, and he started moving towards Lucifer. He got in front of the man and started poking his chest as he spoke, "what gives you the right to kill for her? Huh? What makes you think she would've forgiven you for doing all these bad things in her name?" Tears were streaking down his face now.

Dan was angry, he was angry at himself. He was mad that he didn't have the balls to break the law for Chloe, he wanted the people responsible for her death dead but he was too scared of the law to do it. Dan was happy that Lucifer did it, but he hated the fact that Lucifer did it because that meant that Lucifer would risk his own freedom for Chloe, it meant that Lucifer deserved Chloe more that Dan ever did.

Lucifer was baffled by the detectives tears, it was a sight he never thought he would have to see. The man was shedding tears in of front of him, Dan had always been a no bullshit man and seemed to be strong. Lucifer shifted uncomfortably and felt awkward of the way Dan was gripping his shirt, but what could he do. He looked around his as if someone would emerge and save him from this awkward moment, but no one came. So he did what he does when people cry around him, he pulled Dan against his chest in a hug. The hug felt awkward since all the people who have cried around Lucifer were women, he had never had to console a man, nevertheless a strong man like detective Dan.

Dan was caught off guard by the hug, but he didn't push away. He needed comforting, he had grieved all on his own and it wasn't enough.

After a while, Dan gently pushed away from Lucifer's chest, "uhm, look, you're not a suspect in the case. But can you just stop with the killing?" he spoke without looking the man in the face, he settled for looking at anything but his face. "I'm sure you didn't even give yourself time to grieve" he said and looked away to wipe tears that were on his face, wow this is embarrassing.

Lucifer looked down at Dan and found the blush on the short man's face amusing. He also took the detectives words in, he knew he needed to grieve but he didn't like the thought of forgetting Chloe. Grieving meant that afterwards you forget.

"I'm going home" Lucifer said in a flat tone. He turned around and got into his car and drove away, leaving Dan standing on the side of the road.

Dan sighed and walked to his car before driving in the same direction that Lucifer went. Hopefully by home he meant the club, at least I'll be able to monitor him from there. I'm still a cop, even if he is killing thugs it's still murder.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•
Please Vote, Share and leave a comment.
Thanks for reading!!