Ten

Chapter 10

Dan felt calm and relieved as he hung up his phone and dropped it on the coffee table. Lucifer had just called to inform him of the destruction of the demons that were killing innocents.

A month and a half had passed since Dan asked Lucifer to contact Maze, it turned out to be the best solution to the problem they were facing. When Maze finally agreed to help, she was able to locate most of the demons within the timespan of a month. Only the stubborn ones remained and now Dan had just received a call from the devil himself, confirming that the last demon was exterminated last night. Dan was happy to finally be rid of the vermin- with them gone, he could relax.

Dan and Lucifer became closer during the time, they spent a lot of time together. Dan had gained confidence to ask Lucifer out.

"Daddy, why are you so quiet" Trixie came back from her great grandfather's a month ago. When she returned and Dan went to visit her, he was caught off guard when she greeted him back. She was not as bubbly as she used to be but at least she was talking. Dan had asked Penelope if Trixie could come over to his place atleast on weekends to sleepover and on weekdays until 8pm. Ever since they started spending time together she became better; spoke more and laughed a lot.

"Nothing, monkey", he said to her with a forced smile.

"Daddy you have that face you always have when you forgot to buy my chocolate cake. I didn't ask for cake so why do you look like that?", she was observant. Dan let out a sigh and sat down next to his daughter.

"Monkey, daddy wants to tell you something very important." he played with her hair for a bit, he was stalling.  Dan thought about telling her for abit before chickening out. He was too scared to tell his 6 years old daughter that he liked a man, he couldn't. It was daunting for him, so he made up a lie, "Daddy wanted to take you to go see mommy, Grandma told me you guys went before you visited the old man. Is that okay?" Her face fell a bit, but she smiled afterwards.

"Okay daddy, but can we get some fresh flowers first?", she asked with a toothless grin. Dan pat her hair and agreed. "Was that the only reason you looked weird, daddy?"

"Yes, honey. That's all I wanted to tell you", he said in a quiet voice.

They played and watched TV for a few hours before a knock at the door interrupted them. Dan kissed Trixie on the head and went over to open the door.

"Lucifer!", Trixie ran to the guest and hugged his legs. Lucifer looked at the child like he was seeing an alien.

"Yes... Hello child.", he said and pushed her away gently. Dan took notice and scowled at Lucifer's action, Lucifer sheepishly smiled and used his hand to awkwardly rub Trixie's head. Trixie laughed at the action while her father just rolled his eyes.

They moved to the lounge area and Trixie sat on the floor with her colouring book. Dan and Lucifer sat on the couch together, they sat very close to one another and their hands were grazing each other.

Dan looked to his right and found Lucifer was already looking at him. Dan blushed and looked at Trixie, he looked back and Lucifer and held the man's hand in between them.

"So, I was-was wondering if-" he stopped talking when he noticed that his nosy daughter had stopped colouring and was now looking at them. Luckily she hadn't seen their entwined hands, but Dan still let go of Lucifer just I'm case she did look. "Beatrice, get back to what you were doing.", she looked away at her dad's stern voice.

Lucifer was annoyed by how the child had cut off their connection, he already didn't Luke children. He was just bearing with Trixie because he really liked her father. He got up from where he was seating and went to the kitchen area, he got a glass and poured himself some cold water. He didn't leave the kitchen, not even after he was done drinking water.

Dan took notice that Lucifer hadn't returned from the kitchen. He looked to the left but couldn't see the man in the kitchen, he was hidden by the cupboard that separated the kitchen from the rest of the apartment. He looked down at Trixie, she was lost in her colours. He got up and went into the kitchen to find Lucifer leaning over and heaving.

"Hey, hey, hey... What's wrong.", he said while holding Lucifer around the waist from behind. Lucifer stood up straight and turned around before hugging Dan close to him. Dan wrapped his arms around the tall man, he was concerned by the heaving. Lucifer was not prone to getting sick, Dan was sure of that, so seeing Lucifer looking sick scared him abit.

" I don't know, I think I ate something bad.", Lucifer said with a groan. His head was still tucked into Dan's neck. He pulled away from Dan and went over to the sink, he splashed his face with cold water.

"What did you have? I didn't think the devil could catch a bug.", Dan hated seeing the people he cared about being in pain.

"I'm not supposed to catch anything, I don't know why I'm feeling like this. I only ate what I eat everyday.", Lucifer said as he wiped his face with a handkerchief.

"Did you go see a doctor?", Dan asked while he fixed Lucifer's hair, not that it was messy. He just loved playing with Lucifer's hair.

"I can't, I'm not human, remember?"

"Oh yeah, what about Maze? You told me she used to take care of you, can't she see what's wrong with you?"

"She never had to take care of me because of sickness. It has never happened before"

"Can you just go see her? Let her check you out to see it she can do something about it?", Dan unknowingly pouted his lips for extra measure. Lucifer was won by the look, he perked at Dan's puckered lips.

"Okay, I'll go see her now, are you happy?", he said with a smile.

"You know, I'm not stupid Lucifer.", Dan said as the man made to leave. "I know you run away from Trixie each time you see her.", Lucifer knew that was true, he was not a children's person.

"I just don't like children", he said.

"Well Trixie is my daughter, so if you want to be around me, you have to learn to be around her too.", Dan stated, he didn't like the way Lucifer was with his daughter. She might not notice it, but he did.

"Daniel", Lucifer whined.

"No! Me and her are a package deal. If you l-like me, then you must learn to like her too.", he said in a dismissive voice. "Now go see Maze about your reddened face." Dan ordered with his finger pointing towards the door.

Lucifer left the kitchen and walked to the door, he stopped by the door and looked towards Trixie and said,"Goodbye, little one." She waved at him with grin before going back to her colouring. Lucifer looked towards Dan, who was smiling at him, Lucifer smiled too before leaving the apartment.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°
Please Vote, Share and leave a comment.
Thanks for reading.