Thirteen

Chapter 13

During the three weeks of Lucifer's detox process, He and Dan spoke on the phone every night and sometimes they would even video call while Trixie was over at Dan's.

The little one had always been fond of Lucifer and it creeped the devil out a bit. Children were not his specialty, but he could feel the little overjoyed girl growing on him.

Dan told the child that Lucifer was traveling which is why he couldn't come over. And she believed him, always asking Lucifer to bring her back souvenirs each time they spoke on the phone. And funny enough, the devil made an effort of going out and buying the things she listed.

When it was just Dan and Lucifer on the phone, Dan always felt awkward because he didn't know what to talk about. Lucifer though always made sure to bring up conversation, whether it be his rambling about his day, Maze or Linda.

Dan appreciated that Lucifer never brought up the night this last saw one another- when he had clearly been crying at the thought of not being able to see the taller being again.

"...can you believe the balls on that woman? I'm the devil for dad's sake." Dan zoned back in on another one of Lucifer's ramblings about Maze. Dan could listen to the man's voice all day if he could, and that scared him- he was falling even harder for the fallen angel.

"Well she's only trying to look out for you, you are her only family." Dan chuckled as he replied to Lucifer's rant.

"I know, I know. So detective-" here we go, Dan thought as a blush took over his face, "-are you excited about my recovery? Have you not missed me?"

"You ask me this every time we speak." Dan grumbled in embarrassment.

"Yes, I do. But that is because you never answer me." Lucifer said matter of factly.

"Yes Lucifer, I'm happy about your recovery."

"Aaand?"

"And what? That's all I have to say."

"Okay then, I guess you won't be disappointed to hear that Maze added another two weeks to my recovery time." Lucifer said and let out a dramatic sigh.

Dan whined, not being able to control his reaction. He then cleared his throat hoping that his desperation wouldn't push through his voice as he responded.

"But why?" And his voice betrayed him once again.

"I don't know. The demon just tells me what to do without explanation."

Dan needed to see Lucifer, the man had grown on him so badly. He was forever penetrating the detective's thoughts day and night. Dan was excited when he counted down the days until they could be near one another.

"Oh okay, I guess she knows what is best for your health." Dan said in a low voice.

"Why do you sound disappointed detective? Did you miss me that much?" Lucifer teased, but deep down he hoped Dan would say yes. That he missed him and couldn't stand being apart anymore, because that was how Lucifer was feeling right now.

"No... It's uhm it's just that Trixie has been asking for your return. She misses you so much." His voice lowered at the end, Lucifer got the message that Dan didn't even know he was sending.