Prologue

"To what esteem would you hold him to?"

That was easy. M/n basically worshipped him. M/n held him up on a pedestal, no one could ever hurt him. The defender, the defender was the role M/n had.

"Why do you bother to protect him?"

This was, less easy. M/n never told a soul as to why he does what he does, he just did. M/n was tight-lipped, always avoiding the question.

"Why aren't you responding? Are you betraying us?"

M/n growled. What he did was no concern to them, he was loyal. He had served for years, giving up everything he had, family, friends, his compassion, everything. Everything but him. Right now, they wanted him, but M/n was practically desperate to hold on to what was left.

"Wait- what's that he's got?"

M/n's eyes grew in fear, clutching the thing close to his chest. They couldn't have, they wouldn't. Hands, some gentle, some harsh reached out for the item, grasping and groping him.

"Give it to us. Hand it over and we'll forget about him, hand it over and we'll let you go. You don't want to be a traitor, do you M/n?"

M/n was screaming, holding the thing with a closed fist and shoving the others away. If a traitor is what kept him safe, so be it. But the hands, the oh so persistent hands wouldn't let go. They dragged him down and pulled his arms back. This was a fight M/n was destined to lose.

"N-no! Stop, d-don't take that! Please, I beg! You can't-!"

"Sleep. This is what is best for you."

A closing fist hovered above his eyes before his cries were silenced and his heart was ignored. His balled fists uncurled as his body hovered, the small item falling to the ground. 

"This will be all you need and more."