Chapter 9: Sarah's Return

Sarah clung on tightly to Jareth as the teleporting magic started. Her eyes were shut tightly out of anxiety. Sarah suddenly felt everything start to calm down a bit. Jareth put his hand on her shoulder. "Do you remember this place?" He asked softly.

When Sarah opened her eyes, she saw that she was inside the castle. She looked around at the sights she briefly remembered from the past. She hadn't hardly been inside Jareth's castle except for the one time when she was trying to save her baby brother. The castle was an interesting sight to see.... again.

Sarah also noticed all of the goblins watching her. They were very silent. All of them were glad Sarah was back and didn't want to blurt out the wrong thing at the wrong time. Jareth spoke up for them. "Now, You all remember Sarah..." he began. "SARAH!" All of the goblins screamed in excitement as they started running around and jumping in the air.

Sarah giggled at the goblins. Fizzywig jumped into Sarah's arms. She gave him a little kiss on his forehead. She sat him down and he ran back to his mother. "Alright! Everyone back to tidying up the castle grounds!" Jareth commanded. "Aww!" The goblins replied as they disappointedly went back to doing their duties.

"Wow. I never knew that they missed me THAT much." Sarah said as she giggled. Jareth smiled. "They haven't  forgotten you, Sarah." He told her. "Neither have your friends." He added. Sarah was really wondering how they were doing. She wanted to see them so badly... but not yet. She wanted to catch up a little bit with Jareth.

"What would you like to do here, Sarah?" Jareth asked. "I...I really would like to talk to you, Jareth." Sarah told him. "Of course." Jareth said as he walked her to his royal balcony. They sat comfortably, with an amazing view of the humongus labyrinth, which looked as if it were going on and on into the cloudy distance.

Jareth turned his attention towards Sarah. "So, Sarah, tell me how you've been. What's been happening recently?" He asked. "I've been doing well." Sarah said. "I've visited my family this winter. It's been hard being away from them since I've gone to college. I'm also dating a guy." She said.

Jareth had a look of interest. "What's his name?" He asked. "James." Sarah replied with a dreamy look. "I've known him since high school. He's a brainiac at math and he's also really handsome." She added. Jareth crossed his arms, sat back comfortably in his seat and smiled. "He sounds splendid." He told her. Sarah smiled and nodded.

"I just wish my mom could see me now. She left my father when I was little. I haven't got to see her since." She said. Jareth looked at her, sorrowful. "I bet she misses you, Sarah." He said. Sarah nodded. "She really does. She writes to me all the time. I would just love to see her face again."

Jareth had noticed that Sarah had definately seemed to warm up to him alot. The two were silent for a moment, looking out into the distance. "So...has anything happened at the kingdom since I've been gone?" Sarah finally asked. "Well, everything has seemed to be the same and different at times." Jareth said. "Fun with the goblins and some unexpected visitors. We've also had some invasions and battles, which we've won. Also, Hoggle isn't spraying fairies anymore." he said with a chuckle.

Sarah giggled "What's Hoggle doing now?" She asked. "He's busy leading unexpected visitors out of the oubliette." Jareth told her. "I guess that's a better job for him." Sarah said. Jareth giggled.

"Do you think now is a good time to see him and your other friends?" Jareth asked her. "Yes! I would love to." Sarah replied as she excused herself to leave "Wait!" Jareth told her. Sarah stopped and turned around. "You will need this." Jareth gave her his crystal ball. "It will help you locate them." He told her. Sarah looked up at him "Thank you." She said as she then ran off to see her friends.