Spacing out is bad

-Alex-

I watched him walk to the store, knowing what would happen next. The boys hands were  already shaking slightly, and I sighed, walking after him quietly and far enough back he couldn't see me. He went in and I watched, leaping onto a box so I could see in the window. I watched him get groceries, watched him wait quietly in line, and watched him say not a word as the guy held out a box of cigarettes. The man seemed to grow more insistent, and Geff took a step back, shaking his head, finally stuttering out something. The man set the pack roughly on the counter and his posture grew demanding. The poor boy wilted, tears forming as he reluctantly stepped forward. I slipped inside, shifting out of view of the cameras and spoke up. "Hey Geff! Funny running into you here. Is this guy bothering you? You don't seem too happy." I gave a lazy grin, eyeing the man coldly. He bit his lip, nervously eyeing the camera in the corner. There was a slight tilt to it, and I could see that a certain part of it had been tampered with. No microphone.

He carefully slid the cigarettes back under the counter, ringing up Geoffrey's groceries before bagging them and nodding as Geff took them. He was pale, shaking slightly as he breathed shallowly, and I sighed, walking out of the place. I walked to the nearest alleyway, shifting and leaping onto a dumpster to lay down. I try to help him and he can barely keep from running away. I heard steps in the alley and I held still, confused. Who would walk into an alley at this time of day? My pride was still in school, no chance it was them, and most humans were busy around now. I turned, confused until I saw Geff. Then I just stared in dumbfounded lack of belief. Or shock. Shock was a good word. There was no way in the hells the witches said existed that Geff would willingly come near me. Geff was watching me, seemingly on the verge of tears as he struggled with himself. I jumped down and dashed past him, leaving him far behind. I found another alley to rest in, sighing as I hid my head. He had been there before, last time he went for groceries; he likely went there every time he went out. I sighed, tired suddenly as a memory surfaced. I would be speaking with the Vampire tribe soon, checking on our agreements and keeping them both appeased and in line. The Were outnumbered the bloodsuckers, which was the only reason they respected us.

Only witches rivaled their power, and that was saying something. Where witches held magic to wield as the pleased, Vampires controlled the stuff in a different fashion, only the three originals who were still alive- called the high Lunarchs by the vampires- could use magic like the witches could. And they were the truest nightmare the Draconian realms held. Thankfully, they slept these days; catatonic from a self-imposed blood-fast that would last until their Liliana, their "goddess" woke up. He shook his head in disbelief. At least they had a goddess, even if it was an odd religion; the shifters were notoriously godless. That tends to happen when the story of how you were made is known and was recorded by the witch who did the deed. No one remembered her name, but everyone calls her Luna. A witch who got into a wolfs pants. They did wind up married, but she was the one who started it all; and when it was a witch and not a goddess or something similar that started your race, you tend to be a bit... practical. And atheist.

Besides, who really cared about the gods when life never wound up being touched by them? Honestly, the closest to a goddess that existed on the earth likely died long ago; and the vampires still worshipped her. I chose to huff, annoyed at the world until I heard a footstep. I leapt forward, barely dodging the net that dropped where I'd been laying only a moment before. I hissed at the men, idiot humans who couldn't leave stray animals alone, and dashed off as they chased me. Surely they didn't expect to outrun a cat? Not in an alleyway. Which meant there was a trap ahead. I shook my head, slipping behind some boxes and waiting as they grew near. When they were almost on me, I shifted, keeping low so they would t see it happen. They lifted the boxes and threw down a net, covering a human instead of a cat. I raised my eyebrow, expression boredly unimpressed. "Really? You're netting a kid? Wow, the feds will love to hear about this one." They grew confused, stammering and backing off as they tried to figure out where I had gone. It was hilarious to do this, and it let me avoid so much stuff it was almost dead serious. Too funny for that though.