Wake-up call

-Alex-

I walked up the sidewalk, chest constricting as I picked up an odd smell. My territory marks were halfway covered by some other Alpha, which meant my pack had been picked up. I was making the rounds, visiting them all just in case, but my hopes were getting low. He'd claimed everyone so far, all I could even /hope/ for was that Kennedy hadn't gotten bullied into being claimed. I needed at least one beta to be seen as a real pride- a lone Alpha with an ill omega did not a Pride make; that was more like a mate-pair, something Geoffrey was obviously not ready to be.

I walked slowly up the street, Kennedy's house starting to come into view when Kyle stepped in front of me, eyes wide and mouth slightly open in shock. I would've assumed he'd seen me and come to ask where I'd been if we'd been near his house. As it was, I barely managed to hop backwards before his fist hit me.

"I forgive you Kyle! I'm sorry!" I ducked past him, tripping him in the process as he struggled to say something. More of my old pride would be waiting ahead, then. So he was trying to bully Kennedy into it. That was good; he hadn't managed to pin the kid down yet.

I should've been expecting this; of course he'd tell his pack to attack any other Alphas they met- and not to warn them about the ambush ahead. They wouldn't be able to leave this new Alphas pride until I challenged him; and I wasn't going to be ready to do that for a long time. The only reason I had a chance was because an Alphas strength gained from his Pride was tied to both numbers and loyalty; and it had a quick drop-off in strength gained for each new member gained.

Most Alphas worked for their Prides loyalty long before they worked for numbers; it'd be hard for this one now they knew their old Alpha was back. They'd have a hard time abandoning old loyalties when I had spent three years caring for the newest of them and had been so badly broken up over any of them getting hurt. I had a chance.

It was still a low blow, though, knowing my own Pride would be attacking me. I jerked to the side as Ian hit me, the tiny kid sobbing quietly as he did so. He was only thirteen, he'd only gotten to join my Pride three years ago. The proudest and happiest day of his life, he'd said. I wasn't going to enjoy this.

____________________________________

-Geoffrey-

I woke up to screaming, and covered my ears. I didn't know what I'd done to make Mason mad, and I was scared. I didn't want him to actually try to hurt me, everything was already painful enough. Then I felt arms around me. They weren't cold, they were warm. Whoever this was it wasn't Mason. I slowly managed to realize that I was whimpering, and that was almost the only noise. I breathed, forcing myself to be calm as the arms held me, letting me be curled up in their lap. I slowly lowered my hands and heard something oddly familiar. There was a heartbeat, and I knew it's pattern.

I opened my eyes and looked to the side, seeing George and freezing. He was here too; he was stuck in this hell with me. Then three small hands pulled me to the floor, making me yelp surprise before three girls- my sisters- had me wrapped up in a hug as the sobbed on me. George barely beat my parents in joining the hug, and I felt myself grow more and more terrified of the bruises they'd see when they let go.

I couldn't believe I was home... I was so afraid Mason would find me again and put my family through the same hell I'd just been set free from, but I couldn't help but feel relief. I wouldn't have to deal with Mason's touches or kisses anymore. I could wear my own clothes and do what I wanted. I was free.