A disappearing act

-George-

I walked around town, feeling slightly lost. It was a Saturday, so I didn't have much to do. I'd been given a week off school for my depression and my brother, and I didn't have any homework to do. I'd be swamped come Monday, but I'd manage. That lack of of anything to do left me wandering the streets. Geoffrey had asked me to leave for a few hours, and I couldn't help but wonder what kind of surprise he'd be cooking up.

I hated myself for it, but I couldn't say no. Geff had been missing for so long, and he'd seemed so excited when he asked, that I couldn't work up the will to say I wanted to stay with him. I pondered what that could mean for our future when I caught a glimpse of someone familiar step into an alleyway. I couldn't think of who I'd have seen that I knew, none of my friends willingly went into the alleyways alone or even had a reason too, so I followed, confused as I tried to figure it out.

I stepped into the alley to find a dead end with no one in sight; though there was a pretty looking cat sitting on a dumpster nearby. It had a nice golden-brown color, and I stared at it in interest for a minute until it mewed, and I shook my head, sighing and leaving the alleyway to walk in the street again.

I walked for a while, slowly circling the small town and wandering around as I waited for the text from Geoffrey to tell me it was okay to come home. Honestly, I must've been an idiot to agree to this, but... Geff was home.

I caught another glimpse of someone, and this time, I hid, stepping to the side and watching them. He scanned the street, looking for something. I kept out of his sight until he turned and walked into the alley. It was Alex! I hurriedly stepped out of my hiding spot and ran to the alley, peeking in.

I saw him leaning against a wall, fingering a green leaf with a distracted look, his eyes slightly glazed as he physically kept the leaf away from himself, holding his hand at waist level as he visibly shook. I could tell he was addicted to whatever it was.

"Hey! Alex! I finally found you!" He blinked, jerking upright and staring at me. I took a step forward, smiling as I did so, excited to finally be able to thank him properly, and he bolted, dashing towards me as he ducked behind a dumpster.

I blinked, confused, then went to check behind the dumpster. All I found was an open manhole and that cute golden-brown cat from before. It was an odd tabby, apparently a bit disturbed by Alex having ducked in here and moved the manhole cover in his flight. I wondered why he had run- it wasn't like I was dangerous or anything.

The cat was staring at the leaf, and I reached in, grabbing it to figure out what it was. An odd thing, it definitely wasn't Marijuana, and I didn't think it was tobacco, so what was it?

I shrugged, pocketing it and walking back out into the street as the cat started growling loudly. I ignored it, wondering if I should ask Geoffrey or look it up myself. I started walking again, bored, and left the still crazed cat in the alley.

What had set it off on such a tantrum?
____________________________________

-Alex-

I paced, back and forth, my limbs twitching now and then. I didn't want the catnip, I knew it did crazy weird things to me, and I needed to be on my a-game. The fact that George had caught me and taken it, though, was my main worry. What human was addicted to catnip? That was just not normal.

My only consolation was that he didn't know that the Were existed, he'd likely just assume I was a weird person. Still, I couldn't help the chilling feeling shivering it's way down my spine. It gnawed at me, making me want to chase after the boy... the man... he was a nineteen year old. What did you even call someone in that age range?