My new job!

Katy's P.O.V

I looked up at the office before me. 

Professor Hershel Layton.

I smiled. Ever since I was a child, I had heard in my town of the great man who solves mysteries and his apprentice, Luke. Me and Luke are of the same age and I've been hoping to be an apprentice as well.

Suddenly, I felt nervous. This wasn't like me though. What if Professor Layton doesn't like a forward lady? What if Luke is jealous of me?

"No Katy, you were chosen for this. Professor Layton chose you." I said, giving myself a pep talk. I lifted my hand to knock, when the door was opened by a boy in blue.

"Hello, are you the professor's new apprentice?" He said.

"Yes, I'm Katy Altava. Nice to meet you...Luke is it?" I replied, sticking out my hand.

Luke grabbed my hand and smiled. I went cherry red as he replied,

"Yes, it is Luke. Luke Triton. Professor Layton is in here. Follow me!"

I walked into the office and stared in awe at all of the books before me.

"He's a fan of books, isn't he?" I asked.

"All archaeology. Professor Layton loves it." Luke replied.

I giggled and walked up to a room in the professor's office.

"He's in here." Luke whispered.

I turned the door knob and pushed it open. 

"Hello Luke, have you delivered my letter?" I heard a voice say.

Luke turned a deep shade of red and I cleared my throat.

"Professor Layton, sorry to bother you, but I am your new apprentice,, Katy Altava. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." I said.

"Oh, Katy, Luke must have shown you in here. Luke, I think you and Katy should deliver the letter together." The professor said. Then he turned to me."It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance too Katy. I'm sorry we had to meet like this. A good friend of mine sent me a letter talking about the strangest things. I'll tell you later. For now, it's important to send that reply letter." He finished.

I smiled at the professor. He seemed to gain the slightest grin before turning back to his book.Luke grabbed my hand once again and I heated up so much I thought I was going to explode. We walked towards the post office and had our own conversation.

"Katy, which school are you going to?" Luke asked.

"School? I go to Greenhouse academy, down the road from the university." I replied.

Luke did what sounded like a squeal and replied to what I said.

"I go there too! If we're in the same class, we could sit together, eat lunch together..." Luke trailed off as he saw me blush like a tomato.

"Is...there something wrong?" He asked.

I smiled at his concern and gave him a thumbs up to show I was ok.

We walked up the steps to the post office and I noticed a girl glaring at me. She had black hair and it was very straight. Her eyes were a confident Jade, and she  had almost perfectly tanned skin.

I walked quickly away with Luke once we delivered the letter, but I couldn't help staring at the glaring girl.

When we got home, I met Professor  Layton smiling at us and he chuckled. I realised that me and Luke were holding hands again. I flushed once again, then pulled my hand away, pretending not to know what happened.

"Katy, I must explain to you what the letter was about." Professor Layton said, leading us to his office. Whilst going there, me and Luke stared into each other's eyes for what seemed like forever, until the professor snapped us back into reality.

"Katy, my friend, Janice-" 

I interrupted him quickly.

"J-Janice?" 

"Yes, do you, know her?" The professor asked.

"Yes, I, do, It, doesn't matter, continue, please." I finally replied.

"Alright, very well. Janice's friend, Melina, died. She met her a while ago in the form of a little girl, claiming she has eternal life. We have been called on to investigate. We will set off once your holidays begin." The professor informed us. 

I smiled. Ah, school. Me and Luke, others....

"Well, Katy, it's time to go to bed, I'll show you where we're sleeping." Luke said. I flushed once again. We were sharing a room!

As I got into bed, I thought about school the next day. Who are Luke's friends? Are they nice? Who was that girl? Why was she glaring at me? I fell asleep, thinking about all these things.