Prologue

It was a mistake, they said. It wasn't supposed to happen.Magic is as magic does. Just funny that way.

Heidi Hansen sat by the creek with her husband. They were on a picnic, one they hadn't been able to go on in months due to Heidi's pregnancy. She was expecting a son. They laid out the food and took in the scene. They were completely surrounded by trees. It was quite beautiful.

Heidi dipped her feet into the creek, giggling as the cool water rushed around. That's when the sky got an eerie dark color. The water in the creek began to rise and swirl around Heidi. In a state of panic, her husband fled the scene. Heidi was raised into the air, with water surrounding her, encasing her in a large bubble.

All the water began to soak into Heidi's womb, speeding up the growth process of the baby inside, and causing her to go into labor right then. She then fainted, falling into the creek.

Heidi woke up in a small hut. Someone was standing next to her, holding what appeared to me a bowl of water. They turned to Heidi and smiled. They handed her the bowl. Heidi looked down at it and realized that it wasn't a bowl of water, but a baby with water for hair. "You're very lucky." The person said. "He should've survived it, and neither should you have." Heidi looked up at the person. "Thank you."

They smiled. "No problem." They watched as the baby grasped onto Heidi's finger. They tugged lightly at their hijab, smiling to them self. "What's his name?" Heidi looked up from her son. "Evan. Evan Hansen."

Rita Kleinman stood far away from her baby as his head sparked slightly with bright flames. She clung close to the wall, careful not to touch her son. "J-Jace..." Rita called. Jace, her husband, ran in, only to see his son, Jared, sitting in the middle of the room, playing with his feet. "What do we do?" Rita asked. "Drown the fire, of course." Jace said. He filled up a bucket with water and poured it on his son's head.

Jared let out a blood curdling scream as the water put out the fire on his head. Tears streamed down his face, leaving burn marks where they went. Everywhere the water touched left painful burn marks on his skin. Jared continued to scream as his previously bald head ignited in bright blue flames.

"What do we do?" Rita asked, her voice quivering with fear. Jace shook his head in disappointment. "I don't know."

That was years ago. Evan Hansen is now homeschooled by his single mother, Heidi. She noticed his hair often dripped onto the handouts and tests given to her son, as well as created a safety hazard for the kids walking around near him (the poor beans could slip). Heidi tried to be home as often as she could, but it was hard since she was working as a single mom to provide the needs of herself and her seventeen year old son.

Rita and Jace have just taken their son, Jared Kleinman, out of public school for good after burning a boy's hair. In his defense, the boy had rather long hair. He never burned anyone on purpose, it just happened. His parents were having none of that. In their eyes, he was a monster the world should never see.

So what do you think of my new book Steam? It's my first time writing Kleinsen and I hope you enjoy it! This book was inspired by the image above (art is not mine) that was featured in iburnedyourhousedown's book, Kleinsen Pictures! It's a really ...

So what do you think of my new book Steam? It's my first time writing Kleinsen and I hope you enjoy it! This book was inspired by the image above (art is not mine) that was featured in iburnedyourhousedown's book, Kleinsen Pictures! It's a really underrated ship with not many fanfics made for it. So, please comment and vote on Steam!
-Ares