CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

THE DAY OF
Teddy White
Thursday May 18, 2016

I keep an eye on the clock as it goes from two-fourteen to two-fifteen, then I slip the syringe into my pocket, lock the car door behind me, and head up to the front door. It's time.

I've been parked on the street for the past couple of hours, waiting for the perfect moment. The husband and another woman were here a little over an hour ago, some kind of commotion ensuing from inside the house. I had to wait for them to leave, then wait a little longer, just to be sure they weren't returning. The neighbor took his kid to school just before that. The other neighbor was out watering her garden, so I had to wait for her to finish. Now the coast is clear and it's my time to shine.

I knock twice on the door, waiting patiently for her to answer. I've seen a photo of her, so I know what to expect. White blonde hair, big brown eyes. Pretty lady.

She opens the door and looks surprised to see me. Of course she does – she doesn't have the slightest clue who I am. I put on a large grin. "Hello, Mrs. Waters," I beam. "Do you remember me?"
She looks confused. "No, I'm sorry, should I?"
"I work with your husband. We've met once or twice at one of the gatherings,"
"Oh. I'm so sorry I don't remember. What's your name?"
"Andre! My wife is Cynthia."
She smiles softly. "My apologies. Usually I remember a familiar face. Is there something I can help you with?"
"Weston actually just sent me over to pick up something he left here. Do you mind if I come in and grab it?" I've been in this business far too long to be an amateur at this thing. It always takes research and careful planning.
"Oh, what did he forget?"
I hesitate. "Oh, you know Weston," I joke. "Something in his brief case, I believe? Said it was in his office. I can call him and ask."
She raises her eyebrow. "But he was just here. What could he possibly have forgotten now?"
"I'm not sure." I force a laugh. "Do you mind if I come in?"
She stares at me intently, studying my face. "Where did you say we met again?"

In one quick motion I bring my left hand out of my pocket, clutching the syringe, and step forward into the house, sliding the needle into her neck. Eszopiclone and zaleplon, a sedative that, with a high enough dosage, will cause loss of memory. She won't even remember me. My face can never be identified.

I hold the back of her head in my palm, carefully steadying her while simultaneously shielding her limp body from the outside world. I step inside and kick the door shut behind us. Her eyes are fluttering shut. She's almost out.

After lying her body down on the couch, I head straight for the baby. Fortunately for me, they live in a large bungalow and the baby's room is easy to locate, just down the hall. What a cute little thing. Looks just like her mother. She's lying on her stomach, sound asleep. I grab the pacifier and blanket that rest beside her. These will come in handy later.

I wipe down the place to ensure there are no fingerprints or footprints that can be traced back to me. Then I wrap the child in my jacket, holding her carefully to ensure she doesn't wake. I take one last glance at the sleeping mother and head out the front door, disappearing as though I was never there.

As I drive down 53rd street, I glance in the rear view mirror, keeping an eye on the baby as she remains asleep in the car seat. I put my phone on speaker and dial Andy's number. I tell him that the plan has been successful thus far, and I'll meet him at his place later tonight.

Andy and I run a business together, you see. We discovered long ago the valuable price of children on the market today. Some may say it's an unethical business, but we get the money for it and that's all that really matters.

We've already found a man out in Wisconsin who's going to purchase the baby. He's giving us ten grand for her. But little does Andy know, I have another plan in store for us tonight. I'm going to take the other kid, the eleven-year old. She'll be a perfect sell. Young and cute, ideal age for certain buyers. Someone will love her. And will pay big bucks for her. I just gotta get the money from the mother, then dispose of her. She's collateral damage.

It always baffles my mind how clueless some people are. She honestly thought I was going to give up the baby, just like that? Does she not know how valuable this little girl is?

I'm not even sorry. It's her fault for getting involved with a guy like me. She should really do her research before hiring strangers from the dark-web. Because guys like me are bad news. And I only got one goal on my mind.

The baby yawns and I smile to myself, knowing how much money I'll be getting tomorrow.