CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

AFTER
Detective Gerard Sullivan
Sunday May 21, 2016

One of the crime scene analysts brings me over a plastic zip-lock baggy containing her cell phone. I pull on a pair of latex gloves and slide the phone out of the bag. I power it on, waiting for the screen to load. Once it's on, I see the two missed calls from my own number.

I go immediately to the text messages, hoping there's something there. I scroll down, but there's no Teddy's. Perhaps she has him under a different name?

I open each and every text message, but there's nothing out of the ordinary. Text's to friends, family members, mothers from school.

Suddenly I remember something she wrote in the journal. I move my finger back to the home button and click outgoing calls. Sure enough, there are thirteen outgoing calls made from Thursday night up until Friday morning. This has to be him. She was probably calling all night, desperately trying to get a hold of the guy.

"Hey," I call out to one of the men standing beside the counter. "Can you get a trace on a number for me?"
The man walks over. "What's the number?" he asks. He brings out an iPad and I recite it to him.
After a moment of searching, he turns to me. "It's a payphone. The corner of Kimberly and Utica."
Dammit, of course it's a pay phone. "Robbins!" I wave her over. "We're going for a drive."