Chapter 4

"So," She starts, resting her chin in her hands, "What's the story for today."

I sigh, filling her in on how I met Tobi yesterday and what I had learned about him today.

"I mean, I don't know though, it's not like I know him that well, I just met him. I just have a good feeling about this, and I want to get to know him better," I finish.

"So call him," she states simply.

"I didn't get his number genius," I roll my eyes, "Otherwise I wouldn't have this problem." She raises an eyebrow.

"Are you serious? You literally called me from his phone yesterday."

I fall back onto her bed, frustrated that I hadn't remembered that sooner. God, I'm such an idiot. I reach out my hand and she gives me her phone. I open her list of recent calls and copy Tobi's number into my contacts. Handing her phone back, I draft a text to Tobi.

hey, it's Jade from yesterday. I just wanted to say thanks for the tea and walking me back home.

I turn my phone around, showing Alicia the text. We edit it a bit before I send it out, anxiety creeping up into my chest as we wait for a response. I decide to put my phone down, trying to put it out of mind.

"So," Alicia speaks, "how do you feel, after yesterday, I mean."

I sigh, looking up at the ceiling.

"I mean it hurts, obviously it hurts but I just," I swallow, trying not to let the pain win over any other feelings.

"I really did love him. I really do, but it's clear he didn't love me, so what's the point. But I mean, we dated for a year. That's a long time to put up with someone you don't love. I don't know. Maybe it was a mistake to kick him out. Should I just call him? He did seem sorry, maybe it would be better to just forgive and forget."

"No, no absolutely not," Alicia interrupts, "Listen I don't know how he felt, how he feels, about you, but I do know he's not good for you. He cheated on you two times in 10 months! Jade, that's not healthy."

I sigh, knowing she's right. I flip over, bringing my head to a pillow as the tears start to flow again. Alicia gently rubs my shoulder, whispering soothingly to me until I fall asleep.

***

I wake up at 3 AM, still in the same spot on Alicia's bed. Grabbing my phone, I step out into the hallway. Peeking in to the lounge, I notice Alicia asleep on the couch. I grab a piece of scrap paper and write a short note.

Thanks for last night. I'll text you if anything happens. x

Grabbing my jacket and bag, I quietly open the door and cross the hallway into my flat. I drop my things in the kitchen and go down the hallway, collapsing into my bed. I pull up the duvet, curling up before drifting off to sleep again.

***

I wake up to light streaming through the window. I grab my phone from my bedside table, looking through various notifications before stopping as I see two texts from Tobi. I read quickly before typing out a response.

no problem, hope everything ended up okay

we should hang out sometime, talk

yeah, I'd love to

I go back to scrolling, waiting a few minutes before he replies.

are you free later today, around 3?

meet me at the coffee shop?

sounds good, see you then

I sigh contentedly, placing my phone on the bedside table. I curl up, resting for a few minutes, before stretching and pulling back my covers. I shudder at the fall chill, grabbing a sweatshirt and pulling it over my head. The walk out into the living room feels weirdly empty. My first time really spending time here without him. I grab some cereal from the cupboard, checking the time. 11:30. I rub me eyes tiredly, yawning as I make my breakfast. Placing the bowl down on the table, a fall into a chair, preparing myself to face the day.

***

Around 2:00 I start to get ready, showering quickly before pulling on a off-white sweater and some leggings. I brush my teeth, do my hair, and do some light makeup, getting my things together.

I grab my purse throwing in my keys, charger, and earbuds

I grab my purse throwing in my keys, charger, and earbuds. I walk out the door at 2:45, giving myself just enough time to walk to the cafe.

As I walk down the street, anxiety begins to build in my chest again. My chest tightens and my stomach clenches. I try to ignore the tension growing but it gets gradually worse as I approach the cafe. I know I shouldn't get this worried, I'm just meeting up with a friend, or someone who could become a friend. My eyes start to get watery as panic sets in. I arrive at the cafe, taking a moment to lean against the brick wall outside. I close my eyes, breathe deeply, trying to calm myself down, but it doesn't get any better. I jump as a hand touches my shoulder. I look up, my eyes meeting the deep brown ones of Tobi.

"Hey," he says softly.

(A/N sorry I didn't update last week, I was just super busy with the holidays. I just wanted to say thanks to -tbjzl for supporting this story and also just good writing (go check out her new book lovesick if you haven't already). Yeah, see you next week!