Five

"Uh yeah, I just started."

"That's cool, we come here a lot." Axel says with a nod of his head.

Ah fuck did I choose the wrong place to work? Honestly there probably isn't a place in this god damn town that he won't show up at. Maybe I should have gotten a job working at a lingerie store. Nah he would probably end up there somehow too.

"So Axel, you're not going to introduce us?" A guy to Axels right asks.

He's pretty good looking. Who am I kidding they're all good looking. But this guy happens to have a deep voice, brown hair, and green eyes. Just my type!

Axel gives him a look, kind of squinting his eyes. "Uh Meredith this is Dylan, that's Brian and that's Q. And guys this is Meredith aka truck girl."

"Oh so this is truck girl." Q says raising his eyebrows.

Wait back up a bit did he say Q? Like the letter? Ok interesting.

"I am apparently truck girl, and you've been talking about me huh?" I ask turning back to Axel.

He was about to answer when Dylan spoke up. I'm listening...

"Wait aren't you the new girl from cd?" (child development)

I'm about to respond when Axel interrupts. "Anyway so I'm going to order the burger and fries with a coke."

I look back towards his friends and see that they are also confused too. They all slightly shrug their shoulders. "Okaay." I say.

"What about you guys what would you like?"

They order their food then I walk back to the computer at the bar to put in their orders. "So what were you guys just talking about?"

I look up to see Alyssa. I completely forgot she was here. "Oh, I took their orders, and Axel introduced me to his friends." I say.

She raises her eyebrows as her jaw drops. "Are you serious? That's like unheard of." She says.

"Ok well I've got to keep working, so I'll see you tomorrow." I say walking away.

Why are teenagers so confusing, I'll never understand. Just explain yourself, or maybe even think before you speak. Whatever works for you. I'm actually mentally rolling my eyes.

After my shift ends I grab my stuff from my cubby, I see that I've gotten 3 missed calls from the daycare. I immediately call them back. As I'm waiting for someone to answer all I can think of is all of the things that could've happened to my babies. My hearts beating fast and im almost in a sweat before they answer.

"Hi! Is everything alright? Why'd you call? Are my kids ok? Did Lakelyn have a seizure? I put on the information what you had to do if he did have one. It's been so long since he last had-"

I was cut off by teacher Laura. "No, no, no, nothing like that. We emailed you saying we changed our closing time but you must not have gotten it. We only changed it yesterday. We close up at 7 not 8 and it's 7:20."

"Oh my gosh, you almost gave me a heart attack." I laugh. "Thank you for calling me! I'll be there as soon as possible."

Literally almost just shit my pants. But listen there is an explanation for this. When Lakelyn was younger, just a baby, he was diagnosed with epilepsy. We were in the hospital forever. It was the worst. Juggling medical bills, school, work, my children, I was stressed. It was terrible. At the time I did have Patrick. He did help pay for most of the medical bills. He didn't help much, his parents were the ones to actually pay for the medical bills. They don't talk to me either anymore. Ask me how I'm doing it, I really don't know.

Once I get to my truck I spot Alyssa standing outside by a bench. What is she still doing here? I thought she left like an hour ago.
"What are you still doing here." I yell waving across to her from my truck.

She looks up startled. "Oh, I'm uh waiting for the bus actually." She says looking away.

Oh she doesn't have a car I'm assuming. Do I give her a drive? But I do have to get to the daycare. Maybe I can just tell her about the kids. Or maybe not. But I think she'll be ok with it right?

"I can drive you... but you're going to be a bit surprised because I have to make a stop."

"You don't have to, the bus will be here in less then an hour." She says.

I sigh. Is she serious. "Hey! I'm your friend come on, but we have to go now." I say getting into the truck.

She runs over across the parking lot and hops into the vehicle. I'm regretting this already.

"So where do you have to stop?" She asks putting on her seatbelt.

"You'll see when we get there. What's your address by the way?"

She gives me her address and then we're soon pulling up to the daycare. "Why are we at a daycare? Oh do you have a little sibling?" She asks.

Okay cringing because she's really off. "I'll be right back, you stay here." I say.

Once I get inside I see that Laura is the only one left sitting at the table with a sleeping Rosie and a drawing Lakelyn.

"I am so sorry I'm late. I apologize, I must not have seen the email. I was working, and I somehow got my boss to let me off early. I really hope they weren't too much work." I say with a smile.

"Oh no worries, I would still be here cleaning, but I'm done early today with the help of this mister!" She says patting his head.

"Thank you so much for watching them." I say taking Lakelyns hand and picking Rosie up from the crib.

As we're walking back to the truck I mention to Lakelyn that we have a special guest and that we be nice. He got pretty excited.

As I'm buckling in the kids Alyssa doesn't make a sound. I get in the front seat and take off to my house. As of right now I imagine all Alyssa will want to be doing later is figuring out more about what's happening.

"Mama, who is the girl in the front seat?" Lakelyn asks playing around with the drawing he made today.

"Shhh bud you have to be quiet your sister is sleeping, and this is Alyssa, one of my friends from school." I say looking over to her. She smiles the slightest. Okay so the secret is now out, gotta blast.

"Um hi-" she looks towards me for his name and I quickly whisper his name to her. "-Lakelyn, its very nice to meet you."

It's silent after that for a while, but then I ask the inevitable. "So I assume you want to know how."

She quickly nods her head. "Ok you can come to my place and borrow some of my clothes."

Ummm I got distracted like 8 times throughout writing this so um there's probably parts that don't make sense since I've been reading it all day. Btw I publish as I go soooo... anyway have a good day or night whatever time you are reading this.

 anyway have a good day or night whatever time you are reading this

Alyssa surprised!!!