Chapter 6 - "Sassy and hot. I like it."

"What did you do today?" Edison asked as he led Kit back out to the patio.

"Golfed."

He gave her a skeptical look. "And the real answer?"

"I hit a small white ball with a five iron," she said.

"I didn't take you for a golfer," he said.

"It wouldn't be the first time I've surprised you."

"And it probably won't be the last."

"I guarantee it."

He smiled and gave her a studied look.

"So, you golf," he said.

"I do."

"Is this a solo activity or do you have a group of golfing buddies?"

"I made Jaxon join me."

"Jaxon golfs?"

"He likes to take chunks out of the grass."

He laughed. "Does your skill level also help aerate the golf course?"

"I'm better than Jaxon."

"Does that mean you make less holes in the grass or you're ready for the next PGA tour?"

She gave a devious smile. "I guess you'll just have to play with me and see."

"If your golf skills are anything like your pool skills, I think I'd rather skip."

She laughed.

"That loss still haunting you?" she asked.

He grimaced. "Let's just say it's not my favorite memory with you."

"A sore loser, interesting. What did you do when you lost a football game?"

"Who says we ever lost?" he asked with a cocky grin.

"I heard the team loses all the time now that you aren't playing."

His face went flat. "They're doing just fine. Now, are you ready?"

He began to run and pulled Kit along with him. She laughed at the thrill as they dodged in and out of outdoor furniture and around the pool area. The pool lights were out and the lights from the lobby didn't touch them as they reached the opposite side of the pool area. Kit could make out faint, tall shapes and she thought she saw subtle movement lower down but that was all she could see.

"Wait here," Edison said. He dropped her hand and disappeared. Kit waited patiently.

"Are you afraid of the dark?" he taunted from behind her.

"Does it look like I am?" she asked back in a bored tone.

"You're not scared at all?" His voice came from a different location but she ignored him. "So if I...?" Suddenly hands wrapped around Kit's waist but she didn't jump.

"If you what?" she asked flatly. "You didn't finish your sentence."

"Nothing?" he asked, exasperated. "Not even a small jump?"

She gave him a smug smirk.

"Nothing," she said.

Lights clicked on and she could see a disappointed look twisting Edison's mouth. Her smile grew and she gave his face a playful slap.

"Pull it together, Reigns. I know your plan to scare me so I would go running into your strong arms didn't work but the night is still young," she said.