Chapter 37 - "I just wanted you to myself."

Edison arrived the next day, armed with a game plan, which included a chariot for Kit, in the form of a wheelchair. He offered her both his hands, his smile brimming with adventure.

"The day is young and time is wasting," he declared. "Kittery Maine, are you ready?"

A shock of excited energy sparked through her veins and she instantly forgot the hospital bed she was occupying. She was starting to feel good enough that she was beginning to feel antsy.

"Mr. Reigns, you know I was born ready."

She smiled and took his hands.

Before she could move an inch, a strong hand landed on her arm.

"That may be true, but you also just had heart surgery," her father said. He gave her a serious look.

"Barely," she countered. "It was microscopic."

"Still surgery in my book," he said.

"What book is that?"

The banter came naturally, and with a smile. It was how most of Kit's conversations went with her dad. There was no question, from the day she was born: her dad was the good cop, her mom stuck with the role of bad cop.

Her dad would lay down the law in a casual manner and if Kit didn't listen, her quiet and firm mom would step in. But since Kit's diagnosis, the good cop was as bad as it got. Now, if her parents didn't want her to do something, her father started in his usual manner and her mother just held her close.

So it was no surprise when after a little wheedling, and some help from Edison, her parents let her leave her hospital room. Jaxon had shown up and was forced by her mother to join the adventure as an extra helping hand.

Her parents never had any real reason to worry, as the adventure Edison had in mind consisted of activities around the hospital. They rode up and down the elevator, singing songs for anyone who joined them. Kit and Edison gave each musical performance their whole heart, no matter how out of tune they sounded.

Jaxon moved as close to the corner of the elevator as he could, and acted like he didn't know them.

After they went hoarse from belting Disney songs, Edison found a deserted hallway to play human bowling. They set up towers of toilet paper and used Kit in the wheelchair as the bowling ball.

Jaxon's competitive side finally convinced him to join in, and when a stern nurse discovered their game, he was the one leading the getaway with a shout of "retreat!"

On the next floor up, they commandeered two empty wheelchairs for a race. Kit quickly became a bystander as Edison and Jaxon raced up and down the hall, her energy no competition for theirs.

When they were discovered, their getaway wasn't swift enough and Jaxon and Edison lost their wheelchair privileges. But their adventure was not deterred as they started a game of hide and seek.

The game spread throughout a whole floor until they were caught for the third time. This time, no form of retreat was possible. The stories of their mischief had spread throughout the hospital and the nurse who found them had no intention of letting them get away. Jaxon grumbled about mutiny as they were escorted back to Kit's room.

After that, Edison and Jaxon were kicked out, because Kit had a checkup and she needed to rest. Kit hated to watch them go. She was jealous of their freedom, as she listened to their loud voices disappear down the hall. An afternoon of sun and fun awaited them, while all that awaited her was monotonous TV.

But she wasn't even able to stay awake long enough to watch TV. The busy morning had taken all her energy and she quickly fell asleep.

***************