Chapter 10 - "Who are you, Kit St James?"

"Jaxon, your hair looks fine. Stop checking your reflection every time you pass a car!" Kit yelled at him.

She walked, her feet kicking up dust in the dirt parking lot. She paused when she couldn't hear footsteps behind her. She turned to find her cousin leaning close to a car, fixing his hair.

"Jaxon!" she called.

He ignored her as he finished adjusting his hair, then hurried to catch up with her.

"This is your fault. You dragged me out of the house before I was ready," he said.

His long legs quickly closed the distance between them and they continued walking through the cars. They could smell fried food and sugar and hear the tinny carnival ride music and loud voices before they left the parking lot. As the tall, colorful rides and pop up tents came into view, Kit picked up the pace, dragging Jaxon along with her.

"Calm down," he said, protesting any movement above a cool saunter. "If you act too eager, people will think you are actually excited about this archaic pasttime."

"State fairs are not archaic. They are a staple in American history," she said.

"With history is where they should stay."

She gave him an incredulous look. "How can you dislike state fairs?" she asked. "There are rides and food. It's the perfect recipe for a good time."

"It sounds more like the recipe for a night of vomiting."

She continued to pull him along. "You're just pissy because I made you get ready in less than an hour."

"I was still in my pj's when you barged into my house."

"It was four in the afternoon."

He answered with a scowl.

"Are you always so moody?" she asked as they got in line for tickets.

"Yes. It reinforces my elusive and brooding persona."

She let out a loud laugh.

"Laugh all you want. It won't change the fact all the girls love me," he said.

"And here I thought you had to be on the football team to get the girls to pay attention to you."

"You would be wrong. The swim team gives the football team some serious competition," he said.

"The swim team needs better marketing then. I thought Edison had the corner market on girls."

"Is that why you're interested in him?" he asked.

She smirked at his sly turn of conversation. "We're still talking about you," she said.

Jaxon shook his head, "It might seem like Eddie gets all the girls but there is a lot to be said for being a little more reserved. It adds some mystery."

"I assume you are talking about yourself," Kit said.

Jaxon gave a casual shrug. They continued their slow crawl towards the ticket window.

"Enough about me. Why are you still hanging around with Eddie? What are you thinking?"

"Currently? I'm thinking of cotton candy and how many times I can go on the flippy ride before I puke," she said. She pointed to a tall ride with metal cages flipping around as the whole structure turned.

"Kit, I'm serious," he said.

"I know. You explained how it adds to your hot, brooding persona."

"But..."

"Next in line," the ticket booth worker called out.

Kit skipped up to the window. "Good evening! Can I please have two wrist bands?" she said, sliding money over the counter.