Chapter 20 - "Seriously, I don't deserve you."

Kit stepped hesitantly into her house, her wet feet slick on the wood floor. She'd crossed through wet, freshly-mowed grass and now, left a trail of it behind her as she headed towards the kitchen. She was focused on making her steps steady until a rustling noise came to her from the kitchen. She paused and listened.

Nothing but curiosity kept her in place, as she listened to the sound of someone rummaging around in her fridge. She rounded the corner into the kitchen and was met by the open fridge door. She leaned against the wall and waited silently, as the intruder finished their search.

When the fridge door shut, Edison appeared. Neither of them were surprised to see the other. He took a bite of the peach in his hand and nodded at her.

"You're out of peaches," he said with a full mouth. "And everything else." 

She smiled and walked past him. She grabbed a cup and filled it with water.

"You stole my peach," she said. She faced him and leaned against the counter.

"I took it as payment for my time. I just spent ten minutes searching your kitchen for food, and this is all I found. You have no food."

"It's actually an advanced security tactic," she said. He raised his eyes questioningly. "If I have nothing to steal, I won't get robbed," she explained.

She stole the peach out of his hands and took a bite.

"I'm not sure that's a logical argument," he said.

He stole the peach back.

"It's perfectly logical. I have no furniture, and I haven't been robbed. The results are conclusive."

He chuckled. "How very scientific of you."

She grinned and stole back the last bite of peach. "You're at my house."

He nodded and smiled. "That is an accurate observation." 

She nodded down to his foot. "I don't see you for a day and your ankle bandage is gone."

"Right again! You're on fire," he joked. "Maybe we should play the lottery." He only got half a smile. "My ankle is better. Thanks for your concern." He gave her a cheesy smile.

She shook her head and laughed. "I wasn't concerned."

He put his hand over his heart, as if touched by her words.

"Thank you! I was able to go back to work today," he said. "You are such a good friend for caring."

He pulled her into a tight, one-armed hug while roughly running his free hand through her hair and causing a mess. 

"Edison!" she growled, trying to squirm her way out of his hold.

"Seriously, I don't deserve you," he said, keeping her pinned against him.

She pushed against him with both her hands, and after a minute, he let her go. Once free, she moved to the other end of the kitchen.

"I think I liked you better when you were pouty, with a busted ankle," she said, trying to undo the mess he had created with her hair.

"Don't worry, I still think you look beautiful." He gave her a flirty smile. 

She rolled her eyes as she ran her hand through her tangled hair.

"You should find someone who will appreciate your compliments. Is Amanda around?" She turned in a circle, looking for her. 

He barked out a laugh and walked towards her.