Chapter 16 - "Where have you been all my life?"

"What's the deal with tonight?" Kit asked Jaxon. She raised her voice to be heard over the wind whipping through the Porsche's window as she raced down the road. "Didn't we already go to the country fair?"

"Yes, but it's the last day of the fair," Jaxon explained.

He had looked like a model stepping from his house when she picked him up. His hair perfectly tussled, his shorts cuffed and his shirt spotless. He had rolled his eyes when she wolfed whistled from the car.

"And...?" she asked.

He let out an annoyed huff. "The last day of the fair is always a huge celebration," he said. "They setup a big stage and have bands playing all afternoon, with the biggest band playing at end of the night."

"Got it. Back to the fair we go!"

"Back to the fair we go," he repeated flatly.

"Don't use up all your excitement now," she laughed. "You'll need some to cover up your constant grimace once we are around people."

"I told you, brooding and mysterious."

"I think it's boring and dumb."

"When are your parents coming to take you away?"

She looked over at him and grinned, because he was smiling despite the annoyed tone.

"A week and a half. Two tops," she said. "I just talked to them this morning."

"Good. I'll be rid of you soon," he grumbled.

"Be careful Ajax or I might start to think you like having me around."

"What gave me away?" His was tone flat and bored.

She laughed. "I'd take offense if I didn't know that you show your love through insults and moody looks. Have the girls here figured that out yet or do they still get offended?"

He tried to maintain his scowl, but the corners of his mouth turned up.

"They might be offended, but it doesn't keep them away," he said, with a devilish smile.

She chuckled and shook her head.

"So you talked to your parents?" he asked. "What country are they in now?"

"Japan."

He laughed in disbelief. "Your parents make up for more than half of your coolness factor."

"I know. Why do you think I haven't made that many friends here?"

"Your lack of friends has nothing to do with the absence of your cool parents, and we both know it."

"Whatever are you alluding to dear cousin?"

He glowered at her as she held her innocent look in place.

"Did you really think going after Eddie was going to win you friends with the girls?" he asked.

"Wait, is that the reason they've all been avoiding me?" She feigned shock. He kept his uninterested look on display. "And here I was thinking, I befriend Edison, I befriend the girls."

He shook his head and pursed his lips, holding back the question he had already asked several times. She waited, but he didn't ask it. He only let a mumbled, "stupid," slip out.

Jaxon had been right about the last day of the fair being a celebration. The air hummed with excited energy as he and Kit entered the grounds. It was still early in the afternoon, but there was already a large crowd milling through the food tents and games. What use to be an empty dirt lot behind the rides, had been filled with a large black stage, with screens making up the backdrop, and scaffolding rising high into the air. Fences and white tents had been setup behind it.