Chapter 12 - "Abort, abort!"

Kit's Porsche was not made for the bumpy road she drove down. She tried her best to dodge the potholes and rocks but the whole car bounced as she left the paved highway, following the directions Jaxon had given her. Tall trees lined the dirt road she was on. There was a break in the trees ahead and when she reached it, she found a dirt parking lot. She pulled in among the rows of cars and got out.

She heard voices coming from the far end of the parking lot. She followed them until she discovered a group of more then forty people. Most people were dressed in some sort of military wear, but the amount varied greatly. Jaxon and the group of guys around him were dressed similarly to how Kit was dressed, looking like they had raided the local army store. 

The cheer team had decided on their own version of military dress: green booty shorts and tank tops. Some of them had bandannas fashionably tied around their heads and some even had black stripes painted across their cheeks. Kit wondered if they understood anything outside of football.

She was circling the group, headed in Jaxon's direction, when Edison stepped in her path. He looked vastly different then he had a few hours before. Gone was the green and pink argyle, replaced with camo shorts and a black t-shirt.

"Long time no see," he said. He gave her an impressed look. "I like your outfit."

"Thanks. I like yours too," she said. "Although I'm not sure if I like it better than what you were wearing..."

He clamped a hand over her mouth. "Not a word, Kittery," he hissed.

He scanned the crowd around them to see if anyone had been listening. She chuckled and pulled away. When he looked back at her, she pretended to zip her lips shut and tossed the key away.

"I'm guessing you've played Capture the Flag before," he pointed at her outfit. "That or you just know how to dress the part."

"I've played before," she shrugged.

"You should know the way we play is pretty intense," he said.

"Oh, really?" she asked. 

He nodded his head, missing the mocking tone in her voice.

"We play at night in the forest. Some people get really in to it, acting like it's a life or death situation," he explained. Kit nodded along and held back her smile. "Sometimes the girls get scared and freak out."

"And I'm sure you are always there to offer a comforting arm and protect them," she said. He gave her a cocky smile.

"And would you do the same for me?" she asked.

"I'm all yours tonight," he said.

She grinned and gave him a playful slap. "Thanks for the heads up, Reigns. I'll keep your valiant offer in mind while we play."

"Eddie, there you are!" Amanda called out. She skipped towards them, a gaggle of cheerleaders following her.

"Do you want some face paint?" Amanda asked. She held out a charcoal pencil.

Edison looked at the pencil and then to the black stripes across her cheeks.

"Why would I need that?" he asked.

"Camouflage," one of the other cheerleaders said, her tone implying Edison's question was a dumb one.

"That's to help keep sweat from reflecting the sun," he said.

He glanced up at the quickly darkening sky as if it get a second opinion. The girls laughed and Kit joined in, but she was laughing for a completely different reason.