Chapter 25 - "Kittery Maine! Wake up! Wake up!"

For the second time in two days, Kit was woken up by a pounding on her front door. Her body was stiff and her muscles creaked as she lifted her head. She reached to find the time and her muscles complained. She groaned and slowly stretched her legs. She got a quick lesson in how stiff your muscles become after sleeping for thirteen hours.

The pounding on the door continued, but she ignored it. She let out a long yawn and rolled back over in her bed. The good night's sleep had cured her exhaustion, but she could still feel echoes of the feelings from the day before. Melancholy, with a hint of panic. 

Along with the pounding on the door, she could hear Edison calling her name. But she couldn't rally any motivation to get out of bed, and she didn't know if she wanted to see him. When the knocking stopped after a few minutes, she let out a relieved sigh until she remembered the events of the day before. She cursed herself for not locking the back door as - like déjà vu - footsteps sounded on the stairs and then, a pounding on her door

"Kittery Maine!" Edison shouted. "Get up! I got the day off! We're going out!"

She pulled her blanket over her head as he continued to pound.

"I know you are in there. The Porsche, moped and golf cart are all here. If you don't respond by the count of three, I'm coming in!"

"No," she called out. 

"Three!"

Her door banged opened, but she refused to move from her cocoon. 

"I don't want to see you. Was that not clear when I didn't answer the door?" she said. 

"The back door was unlocked. And you didn't want to see me?"

He laughed loudly at the very thought. Then it went silent. She could only hear his footsteps on the wood floor and after a few minutes, she couldn't resist the urge. She peeked out from beneath the blankets. She found him leaning close to the few picture frames she had on her dresser. 

He turned to her. "Is this you?"

He held up the picture of her with her parents when she was only eight. They were standing in front of the Eiffel Tower. 

"No," she said flatly. 

He smiled and put the picture back. She watched silently as he continued to the study the other pictures. Her and Jaxon when they were kids. Her with her grandparents. After a few more minutes, he shifted his focus back to her, his excitement returning.

"Kittery! What are you still doing in bed? Get up!" he said loudly.

She just yawned and rolled away. A moment later, her bed sank under his weight as he climbed up and began to jump.

"Kittery Maine! Wake up! Wake up!" he yelled as he jumped up and down.

She pulled her legs to her chest, to avoid getting jumped on as he bounced her entire king size bed.

"I'm not going to stop until you get up," he warned.

She just curled into a smaller ball and tightened her hold on her pillow. He began to hop over her, jumping from one side of her bed, to the other. After a few minutes, he ran out of steam. He plopped down on the bed next to her, out of breath.

"Kit, you've got to get up," he said. 

"Why?" she mumbled. 

"Because, I got the day off and we should celebrate."

"You get two days off every week. What's so exciting about this one?" She kept her voice monotone and uninterested.

"It's unexpected and deserves to be celebrated. Waffles?"