forty-two

"yoongi," jungkook glanced over at the older male as he drove down the narrow road, "what are you doing?"

yoongi, as if caught in headlights, looked up at jungkook with innocent eyes. jungkook's hand had somehow ended up in his lap as yoongi played with his fingers. he didn't know what drove him to admire his fingers but they were just so...pretty.

"i love your fingers." a soft smile spread across yoongi's face as he looked up at jungkook who continued to concentrate on the road. "they're pretty."

jungkook broke out into a bunny smile at yoongi's words. no one had ever complemented his hands before and for a moment jungkook believed that yoongi was more cheesy than him, perhaps even more in love than him, but that couldn't be the case at all.

"yoongi, you've become soft."

then it was yoongi's turn to smile ear-to-ear, to break out that gummy smile. the two males didn't know what had gotten into them but they both felt at home as they were in each others presence. they both felt like doing and saying more than cheesy things that, if it had been said to anyone else, they'd be embarrassed about. "are you stupid?"

"probably."

their moment of tranquility ended once they'd arrived at their destination, the atmosphere in the car became tense as jungkook parked the car in the wide driveway. yoongi squeezed his hand, which was still in his lap, and placed a gentle kiss to his knuckle.

"don't worry, kookie. i'll protect you." jungkook couldn't help himself as he laughed. yoongi only squeezed his hand tighter and watched fondly. "i used to box," he said with a light chuckle.

"put this on," a black mouth mask was placed on one of jungkook's ears as he rolled his eyes playfully. "it'll keep your lungs alright for now."

when they'd finally reached the large oak door jungkook knocked slowly as they waited patiently. it took a few seconds before the door swung open. a woman dressed in a dark royal blue pin skirt and blazer stood in the door way, eyebrows knitted tightly together and hair being pulled back neatly. a phone pressed up to her ear.

"hold on - yes - tomorrow - right - goodbye." the pretty woman, clearly jungkook's mother, ended her call and adverted her attention to the two males at the door, clearly annoyed. "yes, what is it?"

yoongi noticed that jungkook's tongue clicked inside his mouth as he stared at his mother. a noticeable respect evident in his eyes yet an obvious distaste resting on his features.

a flash of realization shown in the woman's eyes, a light gasped left her throat. "jeon jungkook! where have you been these past five years?" at that moment jungkook opted to turn around and head right back home.

"hello, mother." the way jungkook spoke was a way that yoongi had never heard. they spoke in a sophisticated manner. "may i come in? this is still my home, right."

jungkook's mother only nodded and just barely threw a glance toward yoongi who followed close behind. "and who's this?"

"my name is min yoongi, ma'am." yoongi spoke with a forced smile at the end. he'd realized in just a few minutes that this woman seemed more like a businesswoman than an actual mother.