Secrets Are Told

"Abby, are you going to stay here and rest?" I asked her.

"Would that be okay?"

"Absolutely. Just give me a call if you need anything," I said as I turned around to open the front door.

As I swung the door open to go to work, I heard Abby thank me from the living room. She spoke, " Thank you Maura. For letting me stay here."

I gave her a smile and replied, "You're welcome sweety."

After leaving my house, I got in my car and drove to work. The drive to work was filled completely with my thoughts. What am I going to do? The question kept repeating in my mind over and over again. Well, if I'm really pregnant, than I have to quit my job. No, I can't do that! Hire a nanny? But then I'll turn into my mother and my child won't know what it's like to have a mother! Oh my God, I got myself in a sticky situation. What is Jane going to say? Oh no, I'm supposed to be helping her! I don't have what it takes to become a mother. The thoughts were haunting me. I needed a distraction. I needed to go to work.

I walked into the police department and went straight to the cafe to get a latte. I saw Jane studying one of her files at a table and tried so desperately to avoid her, knowing that I wouldn't be able to lie to her. Or keep any secrets away from her. I walked very quickly up to the counter as Angela called my name, handing me the cup. "Here you go honey," she told me. Once I thanked Angela, I heard Jane from across the cafe, "Hey, Maura!"

I pretended I didn't hear Jane. I took my latte and started walking out of the cafe. "Maur-Maura!" she yelled even louder. At this point, I thought it was nearly impossible for me not to hear her. I knew I had to turn around.

I let out a big sigh, "Hi, Jane."

"Hey, you didn't hear me? You could hear a fart in New Hampshire," she told me.

"Uh... I thought you were calling someone else."

"Who else would I be calling? You're the only Maura that works here."

I just shrugged my shoulders before answering, "Listen Jane, I would love to stay and chat, but I need to go down and do some work."

"We have been completely dry with murders, Maura. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I blatantly said. I could feel the hives begin to form on my chest. They were beginning to itch and I tried to resist. My hand made its way up to my chest and began to rub.

"Hives, Maura. What are you not telling me?" she said, pointing to my chest. "Maura...!"

I pushed her index finger away from my chest. "Shh! Fine! I'll tell you. We'll talk in my office."

Jane followed me down into my office. I didn't know how to tell her. Will she be mad? Why am I worrying so much about this? I don't know.

Once we walked into my office, Jane slammed my door shut and lowered the blinds. I could only imagine what my staff was thinking. Jane walked right up to my desk and demanded, "Talk." I rolled my eyes and replied, "Don't you have a tiny bit of patience?"

"Not when you have something important to tell me!"

"Well, it's not that important..."

"Yeah, Maur, say that to the red blotches on your chest," she said as she raised her left eyebrow.

"Well... I, uh..."

"Spit it out Maur! We don't have all day."

"Ok! I uh... I think I'm pregnant."

"What?!" she asked me. "What do you mean you think you might be pregnant? You're a doctor!"

"Well, I took a drug store pregnancy test last night."