Autopsies, Admirations, and Accidents

"You don't have to start buying everything pink, Maur."

"Jane, I'm just looking! Stop nagging me."

"Just looking?" she pulled an item out of my shopping cart and asked, "You're just looking? You have a cart full of crap."

"Well we have to do it sooner or later, right?"

"I prefer later."

Jane hurried me out of the store due to the fact that we had to get back to work. As we were driving, I turned to Jane and asked, "Are you going to find out?" She stopped at a red light and answered, "I don't think so."

"Well why not?"

"Because I want to be surprised."

"Why?"

"Why do you keep asking why? Because I'm not as impatient as you, Maura. And besides, they could be wrong."

"They're not wrong, Jane. Especially if you see it for yourself."

We finally reached the BPD. Jane parked the car and as we were walking to the doors, she pulled me to the side and asked in a whisper, "Are you planning on telling Phil?" This was the one question I was hoping no one would ever ask me. Reason being, I have no idea how to answer it. My eyes were glued to the street. Jane brought her whisper up to a holler, "Maura?!"

"I...I don't know, Jane!" I yelled back, this time with my eyes glued to hers. "I want to tell him, I really do, but..."

"But you're afraid that he won't believe it's his and he will assume you were cheating on him and you may decide that your pregnancy is a personal issue that you don't want to share with Phil. That is alright too, Maur. Maybe you imagine that if you told him, it will leave the two of you worse off, and it's better to keep your distance."

"I don't know," I whispered. My eyes were back on the street.

"I was just curious. Whatever you decide, I'll be right here," she told me as she grabbed my hand and squeezed it in reassurance.

I smiled, "Thank you, Jane. What are you going to do with Casey?"

Now her eyes were fixated on the ground. She answered, "He'll be back."

"So you're just going to surprise him with a child?"

"I don't want to talk about this, Maura. Let's go," she said as she opened the door and let me walk in front of her.

Abby was taking a lunch break in the cafe with Angela when we walked in. The second my foot stepped inside the cafe, we were greeted by Angela. "What is it? A boy? A girl?!" she asked. I smiled and answered, "A girl." She shouted for joy as she reached her arms out towards me and pulled me into a big hug. "Wow, you've gotten big. That is going to be one big baby," she told me.

"Ma!" Jane yelled at her mother with anger in her eyes.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh sweetie, it's a good thing! Although, I don't understand how you've grown more than Jane and she's farther along than you..."

"What?!" I asked. "Ma!" Jane exclaims. We were almost exactly in synch. Abby got up from her chair and came over to us. "I think you both look great," she said, trying to settle things. "Thank you, Abby," I replied to her. The four of us grabbed a seat.

"I don't know how I'm going to be able to successfully complete an autopsy with my stomach," I told them.

"Don't worry about it Maur, you'll be fine," Jane said.

"Yeah, and if you need any help, I will be there," Abby added.

Angela cut in, "And if you need anything to eat, I will be right here."