The Dream

Maura's POV

When Jane called me and told me that she was coming over, I didn't expect Casey to be with her. He was actually the last person I would ever expect to be with Jane.

It was a pretty uncomfortable night. Casey was holding Emma and Jane was hugging Casey. Now I understand why Jane hates PDA.

The three of them looked like a complete family. Angela was happy that Jane was happy, but she wished it was with another man. We knew that Casey would soon have to go back to the base, but Jane was too blindsided by love to realize that. She was kissing him and hugging him. It was almost as if she forgot all about Abby.

"I can't believe this," I whispered to Angela. We were standing in the kitchen drinking some tea while Jane and them are in my living room.

"Honey, do you think you might be a little jealous?" Angela asked me.

"I am not jealous," I replied to her. She gave me a look before I continued, "Gosh, maybe I am jealous."

"It's ok, honey," she told me when she pulled me in for a hug. "You'll find someone that loves you and that wants to spend the rest of their life with you."

"Thanks, Angela."

Since Casey is here, Jane decided to bring Emma back home. When they left, Angela went straight to bed. I, on the other hand, did not. I kept thinking about Abby.

What happened to that poor girl was a sin. Who would ever want to hurt Abby? I couldn't even imagine. She was the sweetest, most likeable young woman I know.

I don't know what prompt me to do this, but I decided to take a trip to Abby's room. When I opened the door, I saw that her bed was unmade. Her hairbrush and perfume was set on the bedside table, right in front of a picture. The picture was of Abby, Jane and me in the autopsy room. Abby was in the middle of Jane and me in the picture. She had an elbow draped on Jane's shoulder and the other on mine. She somehow always brought life into that room. Her smile and laugh were contagious.
I sat down on her bed and picked up the picture. Holding it close to my heart, I closed my eyes and released a tear drop. She was apart of our family- I need to bring her closure.

Putting the picture back down on the table, I left her bedroom. I decided to leave it the way it was for right now. It didn't feel right to clean it up so soon.

I walked into my bedroom, got changed, and brushed my teeth. Laying down in bed, I pulled the covers over top of me. I laid there with my eyes closed for awhile.

The next two hours were spent tossing and turning. Insomnia is the worst.

I've read an article online before that when you are suffering from insomnia, you should get up and do something, not just lay there. That's exactly what I was going to do. Getting out of bed, I decide to go and watch the midnight news on my sofa.

As I'm laying down watching the news, someone started knocking on my door. I begin to walk over to the front door. Swinging it open, I see Abby standing in front of me.

"Abby?!"

"Hi, Maura."

"I thought- uh... what are you doing here?"

"I don't want to talk about myself."

"Well then what do you want to talk about?"

"A breeze."

"A breeze?"

"A breeze."