Meeting a New Rizzoli

"Get off me!" Maura yelled.

"Maura, let's go. You need to go home," I said trying to drag her out of the Dirty Robber.

She tried to fight me. Maura swung her elbow right at me as she hollered, "I'm not leaving!"

"Oh hell no, I didn't sign up for this!" I exclaimed back at her. I pulled her out of her chair and with the help of Jack, we got her into the car. The ride back to her house was quiet- she kept staring out the window. I stopped by a fast food restaurant and got her a water. "Here drink this," I told her as I threw a water bottle onto her lap.

We started driving again as she finished the water. Maura finally came to her senses when we pulled into her driveway. She whispered, "I'm sorry Jane."

She sounded as if she was crying when she apologized to me. I faced her to see that there were tears streaming down her cheeks and asked, "Do you want to be alone?"

Without speaking, she shook her head. I put the car in park and helped her walk inside. "Maur, here, sit down," I whispered as I led her to the couch. When I joined her on the couch, she crawled into my lap and rested her head on my thighs.

"Hey Maur?" She looked up at me as I asked her, "Now that you just got kicked out of the bar, do you want to explain to me why you were there?" I noticed that she had a guilty look to her. You could tell she felt horrible about the way she's been acting recently. I ran my fingers through her hair and told her, "It's okay, Maur- you can tell me."

Tears were becoming inevitable when she began, "I...I can't do this anymore."

"You can't do what?"

"This. This isn't fair."

"That doesn't tell me why you've been acting the way you've been acting. What has gotten into you?"

She shook her head, "I don't know."

"Don't say you don't know because you do know."

"No, I don't."

"Maura, look at me." She tilted her head up and looked at me. I continued, "I know things have been difficult for you. I can't even imagine the things you've went through these past couple months. And I know you have a lot of questions- we all do. But I can assure you..." I felt my voice begin to crack as I continued, "...you're not going to find any answers at the bottom of a bourbon bottle."

She shook her head, "I don't know why I've been doing this stuff."

"I know why. It's because you miss your son. It's okay to feel the way you've been feeling, but there's better ways of dealing with it."

"I just... I can't help myself. Jane, I'll black out and then I'll wake up in my house. I have no idea how I get home or what happened that night or who I was with."

I felt the need to wrap my arms around her and give her a hug. I replied, "Listen, you've been through something that no one ever wants to go through. Probably the worst thing ever and you just can't catch a break. But you've gotta stop dealing with it like this. You're job is on the line and you've worked too hard for me to sit here and watch you throw it away. And I'd hate for you to throw your own life away. Life is too short."

She just sat there and said nothing in reply. I carried on, "Come back to work- we miss you... I miss you. Come back and do what you do best- being my partner."

Maura looked up at me and smiled. This was the first smile I've seen across her face in months. Suddenly, I felt this shooting pain across the bottom of my stomach. It felt a bit similar from when the baby kicked me when I was at Maura's. But this was more intense.

"Jane, are you okay?" Maura asked me. Apparently, she could see the pain I was in by looked at my face.

"I'm fine, just a little tired."

After that, I ignored the pain and we both fell asleep.

Around 5 in the morning, I woke up to the same pain I had last night. It was the worst pain I've ever felt. I yelled for Maura and woke her up.

"Jane, what's wrong?" she asked.

"I...I have this shooting pain!"

"Where?"

"Right here!" I said as I pointed right underneath my stomach.

"Jane, I think you're contracting."

"What does that mean??"

"It means you're going into labor."

"I am?! Where's Ma?"

"I'll go get here," she said as she stood up. Maura was stumbling a bit as she stopped and felt her head, "My head is killing me!"

"Ouch! Maura, go get Ma!"

"I'm trying, Jane!" she hollered back as she went to get my mother.

When they returned, Ma ran over to me and felt my stomach. She asked, "Jane, when did you start to feel the pain?"

"Last night," I answered.

"We gotta get you to the hospital, babe. Maura, are you well enough to grab her other side?"

"Uh... I think so," Maura replied as they both held onto me and walked me to the car.

Getting in the hospital was the worst party because I wasn't capable of walking the rest of the way. The pain was getting more intense and I just couldn't do it.

Ma got me a wheel chair and they wheeled me into the room. There, the doctors were monitoring my heart rate as well as the baby's. I didn't know what else they were doing, I was too concentrated on the pain I was in.

When I was eight centimeters dilated, they gave me the epidural. I don't remember much after that- the only thing that jogs my memory was how disappointed Maura was with me. She kept asking why I wasn't going to give an all natural birth. She obviously didn't understand the pain I was in!

"Alright, she's ten centimeters. Let's get this baby out," the doctors said as they wheeled me into a delivery room. I asked Ma and Maura to come with me.

Maura stood by my side and held my hand as Ma held my one foot. Once I gave my seventh and final push, my child was born. "It's a girl!" my mother cried for joy as the doctor laid the child on my chest. At 8:15 in the morning, a beautiful baby Rizzoli was born at six pounds and five ounces.