Finding Maura

It's been a couple weeks since Jacob passed. We are having a private burial for him tomorrow, just Maura, Ma and me.

Maura hasn't been getting better either. Well, I suppose not- she did just lose her first child. Abby has been doing a lot by herself at BPD because Maura hasn't been showing up to work. During the day, she just lays in bed with a box of tissues next to her.

I decided to take Maura out to dinner at the Dirty Robber the night before the burial. There was not much talking going on- she stayed quiet most of the time.

I even ate kale for her and she didn't say a thing. She just kept her eyes glued onto her plate, staring at her salad. It was a pretty awkward dinner.

As we were walking out, Maura turned to me and said, "I forgot something inside, but you just go ahead. I just want to be by myself."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I just want to spend some time to think alone."

"Oh, ok," I said as I stood there, staring at her. Maura turned around and walked back into the Dirty Robber.

I thought it was extremely odd that she decided to back in. I didn't remember her bringing anything to the Dirty Robber to forget. I waited a few minutes before leaving.

When I got home, I kept thinking about Maura and Jake. He was so young- it's not fair. He didn't even have a chance to experience life yet.

I tried calling Maura's cell later that night, but there was no answer. It would ring and ring, but she just never picked up.

What could she possibly be doing? I thought to myself. The last time I saw her, she headed back into the Dirty Robber, but Maura's not the one to drink by herself.

I can only imagine how she's feeling right now. Probably hurt, lonely, confused. Hell, I would be too if I were in her shoes. Maura deserves answers and no one would supply her with any.

All I want to know is what's going through that big brain of hers. Or what she's doing- I would love to know what she's doing right now so I know she's okay. But then again, she just lost her child, her baby, her son. How is she going to get through this? I won't know any of this until I talk to her, which is something I need to do.

I picked up my phone, but this time it wasn't to call Maura. I needed someone to talk to so I called an expert.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Hey Ma," I replied.

"What's up, babe?"

"I was wondering if Maura's home."

"Home? I though she went out to dinner with you?" she questioned me.

I got confused, "No. Well, yes we did eat, but that was over three hours ago."

"Oh babe, I don't know where she's at."

"I'm worried about her, Ma."

"I know you are baby, we all are. Do you want me to come over?"

"Mhm..." I can't believe I said that. For the first time in my entire life, I wanted my mother. I needed my mother.

I spent the next two hours venting to my mother. I never would've thought I'd see the day! Turns out, you do eventually need your mother by your side, even if it's about your best friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I woke up, ate breakfast, and attempted to reach Maura again. The phone started to ring.

...nothing.

It went straight to voicemail. Right then and there, I knew it was time to hop in my car and drive my ass over there.

When I entered her house, Ma was in the kitchen making eggs. It smelled divine in there. Wait a minute- did I really just say divine? Boy, do I really need to stop spending so much time with Maura.

"Hey baby, what are you doing here so early?" Ma asked.

"Came over to see Maura. Do you know where she is?"

"I don't know, I haven't seen her all night."

"That's not good, Ma! The burial is today!"

"Just relax, she might be in her room."

Taking her word for it, I walked down the hall and slightly cracked her door open. There, I saw Maura laying down on the floor, in the middle of the door frame connecting her bedroom and private bathroom. She was sprawled out on the ground with her heavy white comforter and pillow. Her hair was all over the place and as I got closer to her, I saw that her mascara was stained down her cheeks.

"Maur?" I asked. She didn't answer. "Maura?" I asked again. Giving it a third try, I yelled, "Doctor Isles!"

She made a moaning noise from under the blanket.

"Maura..."

"Huh?" she mumbled.

After she poked her head up and looked at me, I saw how distraught she actually was. She looked completely out of it- as if the light was on, but no one was home.

"Maur, are you alright?" I asked her.

"Hm?"

"Oh my God, Maur. It smells in here!" I observed as I walked into the bathroom. There was an empty can of air freshener on the bathroom floor.

"Oh, yeah. It does."

"What did you do last night?"

She looked up at me and then dropped her head back down on the pillow. She whispered, "Get out, Jane."

"Excuse me?"

Her eyes were drawn back on me. I've never seen her this mad before. She angrily spoke, "Get...the hell...out of my bedroom."

I looked at her completely shocked. Where the hell was the Maura I know and love? The only thing that I can hope for is that she is not gone forever.

A/N: Hey guys! How are you enjoying Winging It? Thank you for sticking around with me! I'm thinking about ending this story soon, but keep your eyes out for a sequel! If you have any ideas or suggestions, please comment & let me know! :)