Chapter 9) Halloween.

Malfoy couldn't believe his eyes when he saw me, Harry, and Ron were still at Hogwarts the next day, looking tired but perfectly cheerful. By next morning, we had all thought the three-headed dog was an excellent adventure and we were quite keen to have more. Harry had filled us all in about the package that had been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and we had spent a lot of time wondering what could need such heavy protection.

"It's either really valuable, or really dangerous." "Or both." Harry and Ron were having a conversation about what it could possibly be whilst I was staring into space wondering why the package had been moved, not what it was.

All we knew for sure about it was that it was two inches long, which ruled pretty much anything I could think of, and made it impossible to try and figure out without any further clues. Neither Neville nor Hermione showed any further interest in what the dog was guarding, and all Neville cared about was never going near that thing again.

Hermione was still good friends with me, but was refusing to talk to Harry and Ron, which they weren't complaining about. All we really needed now was a way to get back at Malfoy, and to our great delight, such and opportunity came in the post a week later.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall, everyone's attention was immediately drawn to two long packages being carried by six large screech owls. I was amazed when one landed in front of me, the other in front of Harry.

I noticed a letter on top, and was lucky I opened that first.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE. It contains your new Nimbus 2000, but I don't want everyone knowing you and Mr. Potter have broomsticks because they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you and Mr. Potter tonight on the Quidditch Pitch at 7 o'clock for your first training session.
Professor M. McGonagall.

Harry looked at me with a huge smile, which I returned and then passed my note to Ron, having a hard time hiding my glee. "Two Nimbus 2000's?! I've never even touched one!" Ron moaned enviously, making my smile grow even more. I bet I looked like a Cheshire Cat right now.

We left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomsticks as soon as possible, but halfway across the Entrance Hall someone grabbed my arm, pulling me backwards and wrenching the broomstick out of my grip.

"Hey!" Harry said, catching me when Goyle pushed me down. "That's a broomstick." Malfoy said, feeling the package and then throwing it back to me with a mixture of hatred, jealousy, and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time Potter, Black. First years aren't allowed them."

"It's not just any old broomstick." Ron said happily. Git couldn't resist it. "It's a pair of Nimbus 2000's. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy? A Comet 260? Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same lead as the Nimbus."

"What would you know, Weasley? You can't even afford half the handle. I'd suppose you and your brothers would have to save up twig by twig." Malfoy retorted, making Ron's ears turn red.

Before Ron could say anything Professor Flitwick rounded the corner. "Not arguing I hope boys, Miss. Black." Malfoy was quick to tell the tiny Professor how me and Harry had been sent broomsticks, obviously thinking we were going to get in trouble or get expelled.

"Oh yes! That's right! Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances. What make is it?" Flitwick squeaked excitedly, looking at my broomstick.

"A Nimbus 2000 sir." Harry replied. I had to do everything in my power to stop myself from laughing at the horrified look on Malfoy's face.
We quickly climbed the stairs and made our way to the empty common room where we both unwrapped our broomsticks.