Chapter 24

The place looked eerie, and cold. The candle lights were all out leaving a trail of smoke.  The only way we could see anything was from the light beaming through the window curtains.

"What do you think we should do?" Damien asked.

I looked around a little bit more. "Maybe we walk around until we get downstairs, you know?"

"That's a stupid idea." He told me.

I scrunched up my face, feeling hurt. "How's that a stupid idea?"

"You want to go out and be seen. We don't know what's out there, and you want to play catch the bad guy."

"Hey! I haven't done this in a while." 

He rolls his eyes shushing me. "Obvious," he scoffed. "This is what we're going to do. There's a second floor, we're going there."

"Because that's much better. At least I knew where I was heading." 

There was no time to argue. I followed closely behind him upstairs, where I held my gun up to my face. I wished I had a flashlight. Its harder to see up here there it was down here. 

Damien walked to the other side of the wall slowly creeping too. He held his gun tightly,  almost as if it was shaking.

I on the other hand walked towards the closet, praying to God there wasn't someone waiting for me. And if they were, it would be either Kian or Olive. Preferably Olive.

There was nothing there. A sigh of relief pass me. I could hear Damien's tip toes creep upon the  wooden floor. He seemed nervous probably because he hasn't been out for a while since  you know he's  been inside playing the good old doctor.

Remembering that brought me  closer to an idea, an assumption really. I remembered when we were kids we used to play in this abandoned house before it became a safe house. Well me and some other kids. He was in charge of babysitting us, and usually reading a book, until it was time to go. Then we'll run and hide in the vents, hoping he wouldn't have found us for another hour.

I quicken my pace walking towards the vent that so happened to be in the middle of the floor. Damien's eyes wander towards me, as he told me to come over to him quickly.

I didn't obviously. Instead I pulled open the vent and checked inside. There was nothing there. The smile that was once on my face slowly diminished as I felt a gun to my head.

Damien was gone. All I could see was  a shadow of a person standing there. I felt the gun shake against my head,  and thought hard about how I would turn them around and grab it.

It's just, I didn't need to.

"Don't even think about it." The voice said. It sounded rough, like they were sick or something.

"Drop it." Damien walked over slowly, placing the gun on their head.

"Damien?" The voice said with a surprise tone.

"Olive?" I asked.

"What the fuck is going on?" Damien seemed annoyed.

"Great I love that were reuniting and all,  but there's still a gun pointed at my head, with a scared girl holding it. "

What happened here

Some guys walked in wearing suits and ties, and I knew instantly something was going on.