Chapter 2

Chapter Two

"You're really not going to eat my lunch?" Misaki whispered up at Ren. His little hand was tightly clutching Ren's hand, his big amethyst eyes sparkling as he looked up at the taller man. Ren smiled at Misaki, squeezing the little hand tightly.

"No, I am not," he chuckled, "As you said, your mama made that for you." Misaki giggled and then grinned happily, dropping Ren's hand as his ran forward toward the preschool. Chuckling at the enthusiasm of a small child, Ren walked slowly after him to let the teachers know he would be back later to pick Misaki up.

The preschool was a one floor building with a small playground in it's courtyard. There was a gate surrounding the building, making it easier to keep an eye on the children while they played outside. Ren walked Misaki through the front gate until they arrived inside. One of the teachers was helping a small girl take off her jacket. When the two walked through the door, the teacher looked up and smiled, her eyes alight with joy.

Ren had known for a while that this female teacher had a crush on him, but because he leaned more towards men then women, he felt none of her charms. One of the main reasons Ren believed she liked him was because she was Jun's omega half-sister, Hana. She was now eighteen years old and had grown into her looks. Her long blonde hair cascaded down her back and her bright green eyes sparkled with emotions Ren didn't even want to name.

"Auntie Hana!" Misaki squeaked, running up to Hana, his joy evident on his small face. Hana sent the small girl into the room behind her and squatted on Misaki's level to help him take off his coat. Once she took it off, she picked him up and settled him on her hip. Misaki played with her hair as she turned to look at Ren with that bright smile. No matter how Ren looked at it, that smile made his heart hurt.

"You'll be back later to pick him up?" Hana asked, her smile turning a little shy. She had always liked Ren ever since the first time they had met when Misaki was born. Their meeting had been in a crazy hospital room filled with family and friends, but what always stayed in her mind was the sad look that had appeared in Ren's eyes as he held Misaki for the first time. There had been tears glistening in his eyes that had nothing to do with appreciating a new life. As Ren had handed Misaki back over to Kichirou and Jun had bent down to kiss Kichirou on the top of his head, Hana saw that look once again. That sorrow that glistened in Ren's eyes had captured her heart. It was then that Hana had realized that Ren had wanted Kichirou to be more than his best friend.

"I should be back around three." Ren answered, running a hand through his reddish brown hair.

Sighing, Hana moved her blonde hair behind her ear before saying said, "I'm sorry my brother is making you help take care of Misaki."

That gentle but sorrowful look entered Ren's eyes as he glanced at Misaki. "It's not a problem. I'm doing it for Kichirou too."

Ah, Hana thought, why can't you give up on him? But she knew that a love that had lasted for almost fifteen years was something that could not be easily forgotten. She knew that Ren would be celebrating his thirty-fifth birthday soon and she wanted to somehow alleviate that burden he seemed to be carrying around in his heart. Hana was just about to open her mouth to suggest they go somewhere, just the two of them, when the front door bell jingled as it opened.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. I'll go talk to the principal now." The voice was as soft as the bells that were attached to the door and the rush of cold air that wafted in from the outside hit Ren's skin on the back of his neck, making him shiver.

Even as he turned to look at the man who was speaking behind him, Ren felt an odd sensation within his chest. It was as if his heart was burning slowly. Had he eaten something wrong the night before? The man that walked in passed by Ren and their eyes met just for a second before he disappeared down the hall.