Chapter 5

Chapter Five

"I'm pregnant."

Ren stared at the man beside him with a dumbfounded look on his face. His hands stopped stirring the coffee in front of him and his entire body shuddered. Beside him, Kichirou had a large blissful smile spread across his face, his cheeks flushed with merriment. His hands were caressing his belly as if already cradling and protecting the small life there.

Jun stood behind Kichirou his hand reaching out to softly touch his flaming cheeks. Kichirou leaned into the touch contentedly, seeking more of that small touch. Ren was at their place to pick Misaki up, it had been almost a month since he had been released from the chains Koutarou had woven around him, and now that he thought about it, it had been weird that Kichirou had been able to take Misaki to preschool that entire time except for a couple days. It made sense now.

"How far along are you?" Ren asked, picking up his coffee and taking a sip, not even noticing when he scalded his tongue. Jun kissed Kichirou on his cheek before turning away and picking up MIsaki off the floor. Misaki giggled and clutched his dad tightly into his tiny arms. He then gave Jun a sloppy kiss on his cheek, mimicking the earlier action. Jun laughed aloud and took Misaki back to his room to change him out of his pajamas.

"Almost two months," Kichirou answered, patting his stomach lovingly with a bright smile. He looked up at Ren and seemed to smiled shyly, his eyes sparkling behind his glasses. "I'm due late August."

Not knowing how to respond, Ren just said an automatic, "Congrats."

Kichirou watched Ren's reaction and noticing he did nothing other than sip his coffee silently as they both listened to Misaki giggle as Jun changed his clothes. Kichirou decided this might be the best time to start the conversation he had been avoiding, hoping that Ren would bring it up himself. "I've been meaning to ask, Ren."

"Hmm?" Ren muttered, looking up from where he was staring at the floor. Kichirou twisted the wedding band on his finger several times before he found the courage to look Ren in his eyes once again.

"Have you met anyone recently?' He tried to ask it as innocently as possible, but he felt his eyes wander to Ren's own hands, which gripped the coffee cup tighter before slightly relaxing.

"No." Ren's voice came out harsh. He cleared his throat, trying to calm the many emotions raging inside him. "Why do you ask?"

Kichirou sighed and reached over slowly and tapped Ren's pinky on his right hand. Ren thought he felt a tug there, but he didn't see anything. "Your face string has become clearer everyday."

Not even wary of this talk due to working with Hayato and Rei for do long, Ren knew the reason why and as he thought about those teal eyes, his heart contracted sharply in his chest. He hadn't seen that slim figure for a month, but every time he thought of Shouta his heart hurt.

Kichirou saw the change in Ren's expression but decided to not say anything for now. He knew he would be able to find out the truth eventually. All he had to do was wait for Ren to be able to open up his heart again.

~~~

"Shouta come here." Osamu was sitting in the living room, his face stiff and a cell phone sitting on the table in front of him. He had his hands beneath his chin and looked to be deep in thought, but the instant Shouta walked through the door frame and into the living room, Osamu's green eyes shot to him, piercing him with a glare as sharp as a thousand needles.

Noticing the look in his father's eyes, Shouta walked over and sat down gingerly opposite of his father. He waited a few minutes, but his father just stared at the phone on the table with an unfathomable look in his eyes. Not liking the silence, Shouta piped up, "What's with the serious expression Dad?"