Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

The stark white building against the bright blue sky was like seeing a castle within a dark forest. That building almost had the same feeling as seeing home after being away for too long. Shouta stared at the white lattice structure that wrapped around the sides of the building, the bright winter blooming purple clematis vines that threaded through the lattice, and the second story that gave off the feeling of security.

The first floor of the building was a bustling cafe with large, wide windows that could view out into the flowering garden.

"You live above a cafe?" Shouta asked, slightly shocked. From the first moment he laid eyes on the cafe, he felt his heart constrict as if he had found something he had lost long ago.

"I thought you knew?" Ren looked over at Shouta with a raised eyebrow, a small smile lingering on his lips. "Figured Hana would have told you," he muttered under his breath. "I own this place."

Shouta stared at the cafe again, watching the customers as they lazily chatted, "Huh, it seems you guys are kind of busy."

Through the large window, Ren and Shouta, who were standing outside, could see Akira serving customers with a large smile on her face. Ren looked over at the fascinated expression Shouta wore and smiled, putting his hand on the small of Shouta's back to urge him forward.

"We have a lot of regular customers," Ren explained as the made their way through the front door, it's chime ringing. "We mainly have the elderly during the day, but high school kids stop by once their classes are done."

Shouta's eyes widened once they stepped through the door. Even without that warm hand lingering on his back, he moved forward, entranced. The atmosphere was lively and welcoming like the sunshine after a storm. There were teenagers along the wall, chatting and talking happily as they drank tea and ate pastries. Two elderly couples, although not seated together, both had enchanted smiles on their faces as they talked with their partners and laughed. In one of the far corners was a young mother cradling her baby in her arms as she read a book. At the sight of the baby, Shouta unconsciously moved his own hand to his stomach.

By the counter where Akira was making tea and coffee, was a large class case that displayed a variety of fresh pastries and desserts. Loving the smell of the fresh coffee and the lingering sugar, Shouta asked, "Do you bake all this stuff too?"

Ren hadn't been watching where Shouta's eyes had been darting around because to him, this was a daily scene and everything was familiar. But to the unfamiliar eyes beside him, he realised everything was new and exciting. Ren's smile was soft, "The pastries? Yeah, I was taught by one of the bakers down the street three years ago. I can only make simple stuff but the harder stuff I buy from him and sell it here. Free advertising for him, you know?"

Shouta edged forward, his eyes huge as he laid sight on a particular pastry. It was a puff pastry danish filled with cream cheese and fresh raspberries. That was one of his favorite combinations in a pastry, and he couldn't help himself as his mouth started watering uncontrollably. He found this was also another side effect of being pregnant, he was hungry all of the time.

"Do you want it?" The voice raised the hair along the back of Shouta's neck and he turned his head to find Ren only a hairbreadth away from him. So close their lips could touch. Finding his heart beating frantically in his chest, Shouta almost jumped away but held his ground, just nodding his answer.

"Akira!" Ren called, watching as the young girl bounced over, before standing straight and saluting him.

"You called boss?" Akira's eyes darted over to Shouta, not lingering long before they turned back to Ren.