Nice Catch!

Chapter 20- Nice Catch!

Once the sun disappears behind the horizon, Charlie and I go back down for dinner even though we are dressed unusually for dinner and we are sweaty. KC, Oliver, and Robin stayed behind to clean the equipment and set things up for tomorrow. As we walk down several flights of elegant stairs, I go over all the basic self-defense moves in my mind. I want to get every little detail right, and Charlie said sometimes if you do something wrong it can result in, not only your opponent, but you, also, getting injured. Charlie told me that ever since the age of fifteen he learned self-defense, and has been doing it ever since. He explained to me that it became a hobby for him in a way. It helped him cope with stuff that bugged him.

When we begin to approach the doors to the Dining Hall, he takes my hand and I step closer to him while we walk. I see a digital clock and notice that we are running slightly late for dinner.

Oh great, I thought, all the attention will be on us...

When we walk through the doors, of course, every eye is on us. Some just paid attention to our outfits, and others just gave us ugly looks because of us not being on time. I notice the queen, who seems to not have touched her shrimp pasta, which is the dish for tonight. She has her hands clasped in her lap and her nose is tilted up in the air. Her lips and nose scrunched up as if she smells something bad in disgust of how Charlie and I are late.

"Arizona! Charles! Well, I see you are both running fashionably late this evening." She complains.

"Sorry, Mum. I hope you don't mind that we spared a few extra minutes for Arizona to learn everything. I taught her the basics," he says as we sit across from each other, "She's done very well. Better than most people I have seen." His compliment brings a smile to my face.

"Well... that is good." She seems to be struggling to complain, "Couldn't you two change into... different clothing for dinner? It's a proper occasion, Charles. You know how I feel about that. We have guests and we should and we shall dress appropriately. Now-"

Her pointless babbling was interrupted by her husband, "Oh, Chelsea! Their young adults and they were doing their job. I don't see the problem. It's just this one time, and I'm sure they won't do it again. Agreed?" He turns to Charles and me.

"Yes, King Randolph." I reply, rather quickly.

"Of course, it won't happen again, Father." Charlie says, formerly.

I say a silent thank you in my head for King Randolph. How in the world has he handled this lady? She can be such a pain. The woman concerns me in a way. How has Charlie handled having a mom like her? He is so patient at times. He handles himself very well, and I do not know how he does it.

Servants enter with our dishes and they set them in front of Charlie and me. They lift the silver shiny dome from the plate which reveals a... salad?! Oh my gosh... I'm not one to eat salads! My taste buds don't enjoy lettuce and I'm not real fond of carrots. The only time I like salad is when it's drenched in ranch dressing which I was not given.

My server begins to walk off when I signal him to come back, "Excuse me," I begin as he makes his way back to me, "Um, may I please have something other than salad?"

The man opens his mouth about to say something but I hear Queen Chelsea interrupt, "No, Arizona, like I said, this is part of your special diet."

"Special diet?" The woman that thinks Charlie and I belong together that spoke to me this morning says.

I nod and the Queen gives me a look that automatically tells me 'Don't you dare speak of the engagement'. "Yes, Charlie and I are just trying to get into better shape, so I can become better at self-defense."