Charlie + Emerald

Chapter 30- Charlie + Emerald

It's been a week since getting the dress and nothing interesting or out of the ordinary happened. All I've been doing is stay quiet, dance, and eat. Charlie has been going along with everything they say, but I haven't talked to him since the night before the wedding dress shopping. For now, the huge storm that is happening in our lives, is calmer than it was before, but we are still in the storm. Sadly, I feel like the storm isn't going to end soon; I feel more rain and hail coming our way. Possibly, some lightning bolts that will cause thunder.

Today, all I did was eat and learn a few steps to some annoying dance. The whole day my mind has been wondering to the thought of Jasper. I keep hoping he is okay, and that if Miles did offer for him to occupy space in the apartment, that he didn't have one of his frequent 'I-can-do-it-myself' speeches and denny Miles's offer.

My heels click and clack as I walk out of the Ballroom. My hands grip the silver handle to the extravagant door when Robin calls out to me, "Wait."

"What?" I ask, freezing in my position but not turning to look at him.

My ears register the sound of running footsteps echoing throughout the empty space, and they're running towards me. "Is everything all right? You seemed a little-I don't know-distant."

I have an urge to just spill my feelings, but he wouldn't understand. No, nothing is 'all right'. I am worried sick about my friend, whom I miss dearly. My future-husband is fighting against his parents, so the tension may be rising there. I'm homesick and I want to see my brother again.

Wait. Miles! It completely slipped my mind! I have to let him know if he is proposing to Dylan here or not. The queen never gave me an answer about it. I'm going to ask her about it right this instant.

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't everything be okay?" I avoid eye contact with him even if he bends his head down to look at me.

"Ya know, I know the queen ordered for you to just pretend like you're in love with him even if the servants know everything that is going on, but if you're having trouble you can tell-"

I don't let him finish his sentence, "Look, thanks for wanting to help... but..."

"But what?" He asks, his face is serious but his eyes are the usual bright and happy.

"Not right now." I say quickly before walking out.

My pace was so quick that I walk right into a lady with some folded clothing in her hands. She tumbles onto the ground while I stumble back a bit. Her brown hair lands in her face and she brushes it away, huffing. The lady's matching brown eyes widen as she realizes that who she is huffing at, is me.

"I'm so sorry," I apologize as I pick up the clothes that lie on the perfectly polished floors.

"No, no, my apologies, Miss." The woman gets back to her feet and reaches for the clothes, but I look at them.

"Are these Charles's clothes?"

"Yes, m'am."

"I'm guessing you were taking them up to him?"

"Yes, Miss."

I shake my head, "I'll carry them up to him for you."

"No, I can't let you do that." She says.

"I insist." My voice demanding.

"Go ahead, then." She nods at me, turning back to where she came from.

"Wait, do you know where Queen Chelsea is?" I call out.

The lady turns her head to answer, "She is doing her studies in the library."