- Twelve: One of a Kind -

"Hurry up, I'm excited!" Dom said, pulling me by the sleeve of my dress out of the dining room. He was acting like he was ten.

"You're an idiot." I giggled.

"Where to first, guys?" Dom asked as Nick and David followed us.

"Tech. Might as well start with the best." David said matter-of-factly.

"Right. Technology is not the best affinity, you bias child." Nick huffed.
"Oh yeah? Well what's the best, love doctor?" David laughed as he dodged a punch from Nick at the sound of a nickname.

"Love doctor?" I laughed.

"Nick has an affinity for love." Dom said. Under his breath he made a kissy sound and I burst into laughter.

"It's not funny!" Nick grumbled, crossing his arms like a kid.

"It kinda is. Riley, he can use his mind to get humans to instantly have attraction to each other. It's only temporary, though." David explained.

"It sounds like it could be helpful." I shrugged.

"Thank you." Nick laughed.

We stopped suddenly in the hallway and Dom put his hand on my shoulder and squatted down to see directly into my eyes. I stared at his silver gaze, but his eyes weren't looking back.

"What?" I finally asked.

"I don't see any tech in these eyes. Looks like some sort of element to me. Fire maybe?" Dom said.

"Because she's hot." I turned and jokingly punched Nick in the shoulder. I turned around again to see David whispering something quickly to Dom. Dom seemed to have gone rigid, but with David's words he relaxed.

"Call Misty and Willow to the ground level. Time to experiment." Dom said, turning and continuing down the hallway without another word.

We were sitting in a circle just outside the shack in the forest. Misty and Willow had met us there, and each carried supplies. Willow carried rocks and some small potted plants and Misty had a bottle of water and ice cubes.

"Why did you look at my eyes when we were talking about affinities?" I asked Dom while they walked up.

"A Werecat's eyes indicate what they can do." David answered instead, "For example, Nick's eyes are pink and he has an affinity for love. Misty and Willow have affinities for water and earth, and their eyes are blue and green."

"My eyes are not pink," Nick protested, "They're rose."

"And certain roses just happen to be pink. Moving on." David said with a satisfied smile.

"Maybe she's a Catalyst." Misty said as they sat in our circle.

"A what?" I asked.

"A Catalyst is the second rarest affinity type. It's when a Werecat can control all four elements in all forms." Dom said.

"I don't know, man. These eyes are different." Willow said as she scooted forward in the grass to see my eyes.
"Okay, Riley, let's start with water." Misty said. She moved the water bottle towards me so that we both had access to it. "I'll show you, and you can try what I do."

She waved her hand in a circle over the water and gradually picked up speed. The water started to ripple and my mouth dropped open in awe. Soon the water was rising up and out of the bottle and forming a small upside down tornado of water.

"This- This is amazing!" I said, unable to take my eyes off of the marvel.
Misty stopped and immediately the water fell to the grass below. "Now you try." She said.