- Thirteen: Shifted -

I was having a pleasant dream about reading in the History Room when suddenly I bolted up in bed, tearing myself out of the dream.

My ears rang, and my vision was quivering in and out of focus. What's happening? I asked myself, beginning to panic.

I darted out of bed and gripped the wall for balance as I searched for the light switch. Suddenly the wall ended and I went tumbling to the floor and fell flat on my face. Grabbing something for support, I hoisted myself up.

The bathroom was black dark, but in the darkness I could see my multicolored eyes glowing. I flicked on the lights and revealed my reflection. Even with the shower I had taken just hours before, I looked a mess all over again. Sweat beaded up and dripped down my neck and forehead and collected at my hairline.

Suddenly nausea overtook me and I wrenched into the sink. Food poisoning? I asked myself. My arms burned and my throat was scratchy, as if something was trying to tear it's way out of me.

Outside, the word said through my thoughts suddenly. It was quiet at first, barely an afterthought, but it came again and again. Outside, outside, outside.

My feet lead me to the door of my apartment and down the hall. I wasn't surprised to find the Compound abandoned.

Outside! Outside! The word screamed through my head now. I broke into a run and bolted down the hallway, finally coming upon the spiral staircase leading to the surface.

Bursting through the silver disc, I tumbled through the shack and landed face up in the grassy field beyond. That's when it started.

Burning began in my right wrist and made it's way up through my collar and to the rest of my body. I tried to scream, but no sound escaped. I'm on fire! I shouted in my mind, I am going to die now. Mentally I began saying goodbye to all of those I loved dearly.

Suddenly, it all stopped. I opened my eyes and it was as if it were a different forest. The dark, Halloweenish forest that had been in front of me had now transformed into a new world. The silver light from the full moon was illumination everything in sight. I looked to the trees, and saw the massive panthers watching me.

You owe me money, I recognized Nick's voice.

Yeah yeah, whatever, David said.

G- Guys? I stuttered, rising up in the field.

She's bigger than I expected, Nick said. One of the panthers dropped out of the trees and made it's way over to me. The silver light made his black fur appear to have purple tints as it moved.

What happened? I asked, finally getting my bearings.

Welcome to your panther form, David said as he, too, came over.

What? I glanced down at my feet and jumped to see not two, but four. Four black paws lay beside me in the field. I sprang up and landed on them gracefully.

See, Nicholas and I had this bet going about how long it would be before you shifted, and sadly he won, David explained.

How are we talking? Animals can't talk, I said.

We aren't. We're communicating in our minds, Nick said, Are you two gonna sit here and talk all night or can we go? I'm starving.

We walked through the woods with Nick in the lead as I asked David questions.

Will it always hurt that much? I asked.

It depends on how much you neglect your panther form by drinking human blood, he answered, An older woman in a Canadian leap once stayed human for a solid year straight, and when she finally changed back the pain killed her.

I gulped and stopped the conversation for a while to study the forest.

Every tiny sound, from a cricket chirping to a leaf hitting the forest floor, found refuge in my ears. The world around me was not scary as one would expect a forest at night to be, but rather a home that had been silently calling to me. Until now, I had never heard it's pleas. I stared down at my feet as they led me through the forest. The black fur absorbed all light. I loved being a panther, I decided right then. To this day that opinion has never changed. It was as if someone had taken a knife to the night sky and carved my body out.

Hence the epithet 'Creatures of the Night', Nick snickered.

I tried to snap at his flank but he was quick to dodge.

Oh, leave her be. She's excited, David chided.

Yeah, let me be! I snapped. The only thing I hadn't enjoyed about this new experience was I didn't know how to keep my thoughts my own.

Just imagine a door connecting out thoughts and shut the door, David explained.

Or let us hear all of the pervy things you're thinking about me, either way I'm cool, Nick snickered.

Shut up, I said, attempting to bite at his flank. Sadly, however, he dodged.

Nice try, he said, jumping in the air and landing with a dead bat in his mouth.

I heard a twig snap in front of us and my ears turned towards the sound. Instinctively I lifted my head to the air and sniffed. The wind was blowing in the opposite direction.

Get low, Nick said as we all crouched on our bellies, I bet it's a heir.

We waited for another twig to snap before all three of us sprang into the bushes at once. Instead of a heir, though, we came face to face with two other panthers. One with red eyes and one with grey.

Riley, you've changed! Dom shouted excitedly through our thoughts.

Yeah, you should've seen it, man. It was awesome, Nick said. I shot him dagger eyes with my slitted pupils.

Not for me! It hurt like hell! I shouted.

Come, the sun will be rising soon, Eran's voice interrupted my debate. I was about to argue when I looked to see the faintest whisper of morning making it's way across the sky. The trees were black silhouettes against the dark blue sky.

Time flies, I thought.