- Fifteen: Explanation -

Dom

I watched as her breath rose and fell in a slow rhythm. Her curly hair fell in ringlets around her face, as it were framing a work of art. She was beautiful, I concluded. She was mine.

But would she be happy with that? I asked myself. After David had let too much slip and she had put everything together, I chased her out of the dining hall and lost her in the hallways.

Finally I found her in a crumbled heap on the floor of the History Room. Needless to say I was pissed at David. Sometimes his amazement with the world and how things work really did screw things up.

You should've told her, I told myself. That should have been the first thing I explained. Mates. The word still sounded foreign even in my head. I wonder what it sounded like in her head.

The hours ticked by and still Riley never stirred. I was beginning to worry, even with the fact that she was breathing. Finally exhaustion and lack of food overtook me and I fell asleep in my chair.

The sound of crinkling sheets ripped me from my sleep. My eyes adjusted to the small room as I clicked on a lamp on a bedside table.

The tiny amount of light in the room revealed Riley's glowing elemental eyes.

"Welcome back to the land of the living." I said.

She didn't reply, but squinted her eyes and stared at me in accusation. She tilted her head to the left as she always did, as if to hear. I remembered her right ear was damaged, so that's probably what she was doing.

"I have a lot to explain." I sighed, bowing my head in defeat. Eran was right. I should have told her sooner.

She crossed her arms still without speaking and an eyebrow rose. She was waiting.

"Okay, well I'm guessing you figured everything out. Hence why you ran from breakfast. I promise I was going to tell you-"

"Going to tell me!" There it was. The explosion I had been waiting for, "You were going to tell me we're 'mates' before or after you kidnapped me? Before or after you took me away from the little family that I have left!"

"I was-"

"Is that the only reason you brought me here? So I could pop out a couple panther babies for you and then what? Would you kill me or dump me back into the human world?" She boomed, throwing off the sheets to get out of bed.

"It's not like that! Just sit there and let me explain some things!" I didn't realize I was shouting, "I took you, yes, because we're mates but no I am not dumping you anywhere. I would never do that to you."

For a moment her venomous expression wavered and the Riley I knew was there, but just as quickly she had shaken it off and the pissed off Riley returned, "I don't even get a choice."

"Well, neither do I!" I yelled, suddenly getting angry, "You think I asked for you?" Immediately I regretted my words. I watched in horror as Riley's face completely fell and tears sparked in her eyes.

"Riley, I didn't mean-" I began.

"Just get out." She hissed. I knew she was angry and upset as I watched her nails sharpen. Her teeth were probably doing the same.

"Listen! I didn't-"

"Get out, Dominique." She growled, turning her head away.

"Dom." I corrected, hating the sound of my full name.

"No. It's Dominique. You said only your friends call you Dom."

With that, I got up and left.