- Twenty One: Runaways -

I waited impatiently near the edge of the forest as twilight covered the earth like a blanket. Tapping my foot, I looked at my watch for the tenth time. 7:35. Nick was supposed to meet me at 7:30. Had he ditched me? Had he told Eran? I gulped at the thought.

Just then a breeze drifted through the trees I caught a familiar scent of sugar cookies. Nick.

"You're late." I say sarcastically into the trees, waiting for him to step out. He does, but my mood immediately darkens as I see a hooded figure following him.

"Riley, let me explain, okay?" Nick said wearily, taking a step back in caution.

Anger boiled inside of me and I felt my teeth sharpening to dagger like fangs, "What the hell man!" I boomed, "We're supposed to go alone!"

"I told you she'd take it well." The person said behind him. It was a male voice, but I thought I had heard a crack. He smelt of sweat and butter. Human.

"And a human no less!" I shouted, slamming my boiling fist into a tree. The heat had left a charred mark on the bark.

"Would you calm down?!" Nick yelled. I was caught off guard by the irritation in his voice and I fell silent. "Thank you," he said, "Riley, this is Sam."

The person stepped forward and pulled down the hood of their sweatshirt. I recognized him, but from where? He had dark brown hair and eyes and he stood to about Nick's shoulder.

"So why is Sam here?" I asked as cooly as I could. It took a lot to control an affinity for fire when you're pissed off. Like stopping a rock slide with a hairnet.

"He overheard us talking in the dining hall earlier," Nick said quietly. That's where I know him from! I realized, He's our waiter, "and he threatened to tell Eran."

My throat closed and I was unable to form words for a minute as fear overcame me. "You little shit." I growled as I sharpened my claws and made my way over to Sam. Before I could sink my claws into his face Nick pulled me aside.

"He said we either go alone and he tells Eran, or we go and he keeps his mouth shut. Sadly there's a catch to the second option." Nick sighed as he let me go.

"Or we slice his throat with a claw and let him bleed out." I growl. I smile in satisfaction as I see Sam cringe. I would never actually do something so awful, but scaring this kid seemed to be a good choice.

"Riley..." Nick sighed, pushing his hand through his golden hair. That seemed to be a nervous habit of his.

"What kind of catch?" I asked wearily.

"He wants you to turn him."

"Into what?" Just as I had asked realization dawned. Dom had said the first morning I had been here that the waiters and waitresses in the dining room were humans. They worked for us so that someday they could hopefully be us, "Into a Werecat."

I was hoping Nick would laugh and tell me that I was crazy, that the assumption was stupid, but he just looked at me with his head bowed gravely.

"B- But I don't know how!" I shouted, beginning to panic.

"A bite and an incantation." Sam said from behind Nick.

"Well someone's been doing their homework." I growled, shooting dagger eyes at Sam, "Why don't you do it?" I ask, pointing at Nick.

"I can't. Only a Head, Anax or Ri can change humans. It's our only option, Riley." Nick said.

I growled and weighed my options. I had to see my aunt and cousin. I had to. All I would be doing is giving Sam something he wants. Something he's in line to get anyway. What's the worst that could happen?