Chapter 1

⛈  

Darkness

That's all I see anymore. For four years now I have been isolated from my sense of sight. I can feel the heat of the sun on my face, the shift of our car as we drive through a pothole in the road. I can smell the exhaust of the diesel truck idling in front of us. Hear the birds chirping through the crack in the window, but I see nothing.

Sometimes if I'm lucky I can make out the shape of something but the light usually hurts my eyes to much, causing me to wear deeply tinted sunglasses all the time.

Ever since that day I've been labeled a freak by my peers. Walking the halls with my cane, hiding my scars in shame. School back in Ohio was just to much to handle anymore. Thus us moving in to our new house in New York, two days after Christmas might I add.

Moving halfway through my senior year probably wasn't the best idea out there but there were just to many memories back there. To many nightmares.

Throughout everything my parents have always been there for me. A shoulder to cry on after it happened, helping me learn a new way of life. Funding all the lessons I needed to learn Braille. To right now, as my father cuts the engine in what I assume is the driveway of our new house. A house they bought and moved to just because it was what I needed.

A fresh start for all of us.

Hearing my mother open my door I unfold my probing cane, locking it into place before stepping out of the vehicle.

Fearing that I would slip and fall down a flight of stairs, my parents decided on buying a Ranch house thus leaving everything on one level besides the basement and attic. Since we spent the holidays at my Aunt and Uncle's house we were already in the state when the movers called to let us know everything has been set up as requested so now we are move in ready. All we need to do is unpack our clothes and this is our home for the foreseeable future.

Following the sound of my parents voices into the house as they pay the movers, I let my cane guide me through the furniture toward what I have previously been told is the direction of my bedroom on the car ride over.

Hearing the sound of hollow wood on my right I know I've found the master bedroom located at the back of the house. Seeing as it was only slightly bigger than the other room and comes with its own master bathroom, my parents decided to modify it to my safety needs, like extra grab bars in the shower and gave it to me while they will use the hall bathroom.

Twisting the knob I walk in, encompassing the layout of my furniture multiple times with some minor adjustments till I feel comfortable with my surroundings as something I can memorize on my own.

As I'm struggling to find the zipper on my suitcase placed on the bed I hear my mothers feet approach my still open door.

"Alex?"

Pausing my actions I silently tell her to continue what it is she has to say without speaking a word.

"How are you finding the place?"

"Blindly" is my blunt reply before I go back to feeling the teeth of the zipper again in search of the pull.

Hearing a quiet sigh before I feel her presence near mine I pull my hands back to my sides as she opens the case for me. "That's not what I meant." Placing a kiss to my temple I hear the quiet click of the door letting me know she has left.

Reaching inside I systematically remove my packed clothes and place them in my dresser so I know where everything is, placing the case by the door to have moved to the basement later.

Taking in a deep breath I let my body fall backwards onto my mattress, slowly breathing out once I've stopped bouncing.

Fingers crossed I can have a normal life here