Chapter 31

'I'm not in my bed' is the first thought to cross my mind.

A shift on my chest coupled with a disgruntled groan makes me realise my Sugar Cookie is laying in my arms. Her head had moved to the side only to tuck itself back into me deeper than before.

Burning glares slice over my skin and I know we are not alone. "How many?" I murmur sleepily into her hair.

"All of them" comes her huffed response as she pulls a blanket tighter around us, as if to make a cocoon of protection.

To tired and to be honest still a little drained from my nightmare induced panic attack I leave her to deal with the issue at hand. "Tell them to go away, I'm busy sleeping" relaxing back into the old cushions.

"You do realise they are right above us and can hear you, right?" her sweet voice muses

"Yeah but I'm to tired to talk to them."

"Your talking to me though" Her head tilts up as she looks at me.

"I will always have energy to talk to you. Everyone else can wait till I'm awake." Her smile presses into me as she cuddles closer, my arms tightening their hold on her as well. Ready to sleep away our predicament and face it at a later time I nearly fall back asleep almost instantly.

That is till Amy's piercing whine cuts through the moment much louder than our whispered conversation.

"Dear god, I'm gunna puke from all your mussy talk, get up already. I'm starving and they won't make food till you guys are up!"

Sighing through a groan I start to push myself up, scooting over so Bella doesn't fall off. Something warm and fuzzy drapes over my shoulders as we stand up. Grabbing ahold of it, it clicks in my brain the blanket now hides my scars since my shirt is somewhere in taters in my bedroom and Bella's body had covered me on the couch. Grateful she knew how uncomfortable I would be exposed I squeeze her hand as she directs me to her kitchen, receiving one in return as we take our seats at the table.

...

Breakfast was...interesting.

Apparently by 'all of them' my parents were included in those staring at us on the couch. Confused as to why they were here and clearly quite mad as well it was divulged that in my panicked haze to get to Bella I had left my room a mess and the front door open on my way out. My parents had believed I was hurt or possibly kidnapped in the middle of the night and came over here to see if anyone heard or saw something before they called the cops. Imagine their surprise when the front door opens to an angry Mr. Walsh pointing towards us cuddled up under the couch blanket in an intimate embrace.

My only saving grace is I wore sleeping pants that night instead of just boxers.

"We were so worried something happened to you. Thinking you were hurt or dead. Then you're just sleeping on the neighbors couch like everything is perfectly fine-"

Cutting off my mothers rant I snap "I wasn't 'perfectly fine' I barely made it over here with my mind"

"Don't yell at your mother, you don't know what pain and panic she just went through" my fathers chair scrapes backwards as he rises.

Truly pissed now my head jerks up from its down position, revealing my blazing unseeing eyes. "Don't know pain and panic?" Swiftly standing up my cover floats to the ground around my ankles. I am now for the first time in years fully exposed to my parents since the accident and the gasps resounding through the room fuel me. "She wasn't there in the car when we were hit. She didn't feel the air get crushed out of her lungs with each roll-"

"I was in there same as you!" His attempt to guilt me into calming down only furthers to infuriate me.

"Yeah and you got away with next to nothing hurt! I was the one to end up in the hospital. It was my body with the broken bones. And it was my fucking eyes that can't see anymore!" Pointing to the worst patch on my chest I keep going. "Do you see this? Cause I sure can't. NO, I feel it. It's in my soul and it burns. The nightmares terrify me, playing that night over and over." My voice catches as warm rivers flow down my cheeks.

"Every shard of glass piercing my skin, piercing my eyes. I feel it, I re-live it." A snarl crosses my lip "And there's nothing you or I can do to stop it." Blinking the tears from my eyes, my lungs struggle to supply me the oxygen I need making me pant for each breathe.

"When I'm losing myself to the monsters inside...there's only one person who can shine a light on the way out." Soft fingers graze over my stiff fist and my heart feels more at piece getting this off my chest. Weaving our hands together, my lips place a salty kiss against the back of her palm. "She makes me better. Happier." My voice is softer now, the burst of energy in me waning reminding me I still need more rest. "So when I knew I couldn't fight this one on my own I went to her."

"Punish us- Punish me however you like but please, please don't keep us apart." My plea now directed to her father. "It was wrong of us to not tell you we were dating, but we feared you would stop her from coming over at night. You have no idea how wonderful it is to finally sleep through the whole night for the first time in 4 years. She calms the monsters eating away at me as I sleep. Her mere presence sends them running. I can't stand the thought of living without her so please I beg you, let us be together. I'll do everything I can to be worthy of her heart, just don't ask me to stay away again. I know I could never last this long again without her."