Chapter 6

Days unfolded, classes began and while Miles enjoyed and performed very well in the classes, it was weird not having a best friend to gossip with through most of the class. And he desperately needed someone to talk to about the changes he was going through. The changes weren't giving him panic attacks like they initially did but it was still weird to look in a mirror and not be able to see himself at times. Or to break your phone screen just by playing an addictive tap game. To make things worse, he was hearing things he didn't even want to hear right now. Things that ought to be indistinct murmurs or whispers were loud and clear to him. He could hear the buzzing from the inside of the energy lines beneath the school although he'd learned to shut that out.

His eyesight was terrible too. The acne on Ms. Calhoun's face looked like planets to him due to how much better his eyesight had gotten. Growing accustomed to this new perspective of life was terrifying and he was wondering how on earth it was possible to obtain abilities from an electro-magnetic pulse.

"Hey," Hay Johnson said as she took the seat opposite him at lunch. He'd been sitting alone, staring at his spaghetti with meatballs and a couple of veggies cut up into it but hadn't eaten yet. Mostly because the spaghetti looked like one gigantic, long worm to him. Hay's presence snapped him out of super sight or whatever it was and his food looked normal to him again.

"Hey, Hay."

"That sounds funny," she replied and giggled. She waved and her pretty, blond friend came over. Michelle.

"This is weird," Miles muttered.

"How?"

"I don't have experience with being on the pretty girl table at lunch," Miles said. "I'm usually sitting with the nerdy sore loser table."

"This is Horizon High. We're all nerdy sore losers, aren't we?"

"Forget that," Michelle said, a huge smile on her face. "I think Miles here just called us pretty girls indirectly."

Miles's looked back at his plate, desperately praying for a guy to come join this table. He couldn't eat with just girls.

"Hey! Dil, right?" Michelle said as Dil walked past their table carrying his tray. He was eating a lot of veggies. No meat. When did Dil become a vegetarian?

"Yeah?" Dil said but still didn't turn back. "Who wants to know?"

"Two pretty girls, apparently," Michelle said and winked at Hay, both of them shot looks at Miles who was looking at his plate again.

"I doubt that," Dil said and continued walking. Miles looked up. Both Michelle and Hay clearly looked hurt and confused.

"Hey!" Miles yelled at Dil. "You don't have to be a dickhead every freaking time you know! People have feelings too, in case you didn't know since you're too good to be one of us!"

"What is going on?" Michelle asked but Hay shrugged looked at Dil who dropped his tray on the floor and turned back to face their table. Other people had now gotten interested in this spectacle.

"Got something to say to me, Miles?" Dil asked.

"Couple of sentences. Maybe two or three, in case you're too rich and brave to do the math yourself."

"And you're too jealous and cowardly to be matured?" Dil shot back. "Maybe if you went around things a bit differently, your old man would still be alive."

"Maybe if you didn't mention my old man again, you wouldn't get a fist shoved into your face!"

"I dare you."