Chapter 30

“Do we really need to wear our suits to break out of high school?” Sam muttered in a hushed voice.
“You need to. I’m staying invisible through the entire breakout,” Miles’s voice replied from beside Sam although he was completely hidden from sight. It would take some next-gen infrared or heat scanning cameras for Modell to be able to detect Miles’s invisibility. But knowing Modell, he probably already had next-gen infrared cameras so invisibility wouldn’t be doing so much in making the breakout successful.
“Whatever, showoff,” Sam muttered and used his palms as a source of light in the dim hallways.
“What’s up with you and Dil?”
“He’s an annoying pain in the ass and I’m not entirely clear as to how you’re able to maintain a relationship with him. He’s everything I imagined an entitled, privileged kid to be. Arrogant, whiny, childish.”
“Dil isn’t all that bad. Sure, he has his really irritating moments but then we all do. We wouldn’t be good friends if we got along every damn fight without a few hitches. If we got along perfectly without occasional fights then we’d just be two mindless people agreeing with each other every time in order to create the impression of a perfect friendship.”
“Well, I’m definitely not under the illusion of a perfect friendship when it comes to Dil. Can’t even stand him.”
“Got something against rich kids?”
“It’s complicated. I wasn’t on my planet for very long but it was a bit of a harsh society despite how prosperous it was. The elites ruling and it annoyed me that I was a son of an elite family. A family that could easily silence any person on Xandar who disagreed with them. I hated that we were uncontrollable and didn’t have to play by the rules that everyone else played by. I know the kind of suffering people on Xandar went through ages ago. It’s in the crypts. So seeing someone like Dil just brings back those memories and he isn’t being helpful when he speaks like an arrogant jerkwad every second.”
“That’s kinda deep.”
“It’s why I’ve been drinking Worldmind Herbs a lot recently.”
“What’s that?”
“It’s a Xandarian recipe. It strengthens my connection to Xandar and the Xandarian Worldmind which is the source of my superhuman abilities.”
“So it’s mystical?”
“Partly,” Sam answered. “It’s scientific too. But I guess it’s also mystical.”
“So it makes your powers stronger?”
“Only my connection to my powers. Nothing enhances the Worldmind. To try to bypass it is deadly, the power would be too much for any one man to handle.”
“So there’s no man with superior access to the Worldmind?”
“Centurions usually have a much stronger connection and capability to draw energy from it. But there’s only one left.”
“Wow.”
“Okay, let’s fly,” Sam said the moment they were outside and Miles shimmered into visibility. Sam grabbed Miles and shot upwards, leaving behind a trail of blue energy.
“Flying is really awesome!” Miles yelled.
“You could just add thrusters to your suit and be able to fly. Sure, it wouldn’t be as cool as me flying in sexy armor but it would be close.”
“Watch out!” Miles yelled as he heard a tingling sensation but it was too late as a beam of orange energy hit Sam and he lost his aerial balance. Sam groaned as his eyes shut and they both started falling to the ground at a terrifying speed.

“No!” Miles yelled and fired a string of web upwards at the blue and orange suit of armor that had just knocked both him and Sam out of the sky and he grabbed Sam with his free hand.
“Wake up, arrogant dimwit!” Miles yelled and gritted as he looked in horror as the suit of armor zipped towards him, faster than Miles’s eyes could track.
A metallic fist collided into Miles and although his suit absorbed most of it, the air was still knocked right out of him and he accidentally let go of the string of web.
“Oh boy,” Miles said and flailed his arms wildly in the air as he watched the ground rise closer to him at a frightful speed. “Never thought I’d die like this.”
“You won’t!” Sam yelled and shot upwards, grabbing Miles and rolling around multiple times in the air at as fast as he could before hurling Miles at the suit of armor without warning.
Miles inhaled as he shot towards the suit of armor and threw a series of quick punches and then leaping off the robot and towards the ground as Sam fired a blast of energy at the suit then he zipped towards Miles and grabbed him before he hit the ground and they landed gently.
“Great teamwork,” Miles said and took a deep breath but shortly after, the suit of armor landed in front of them and there was a series of clicking sounds. There wasn’t even a scratch or a dent in the armor.
“We’re doomed.”
“Not yet,” a voice said from the armor and the top opened up to reveal Max Modell, glaring at the two of them. “But you’re about to be.”